Gt Sensor 4.0 finally arrived today :) but badly scratched:(

2»

Comments

• dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    supersonic wrote:
    He didn't deal with the courier, he got £80 of goods in compensation and accepted it!

He had the option of repair, replacement or refund if had been asked for, no doubt, in fact replacement was mentioned.

I know, he got a good outcome

It was more of general comment I hoped a few people would read and find helpful. You are well within your right to ask for a replacement of faulty delivered goods, and it should be at no cost to you.
  • Yep, used a bog standard pedal spanner from Halfords. I did do it up pretty tight but without using a torque wrench how am I supposed to know how tight is correct? I'm not too familiar with bike maintenance but I am pretty handy with most things, I work as a science technician so got lots of fixing stuff involved, do lots of DIY etc so I don't mind trying to fix things like this but there are plenty of folk who aren't. If I made a mess of it then there is a good chance plenty of other folk would as well especially those who are less technically minded.

It was a bike technician that suggested the faulty pedal and cited an example of it happening to one of the Cube bikes they had supplied so considering the source of the information I had no reason to question. Indeed when I had a look at the pedal that fell off and there seems to be a bit of play in it, if you hold the thread tightly and the pedal itself waggles a bit side to side, could be normal though. I would have expected it to simply come loose though rather than strip the thread if it wasn't tight enough. The other pedal is still solid though and I tightened that to the same amount as the other.

Either way when the new crank arrives the old pedals won't go back on, so any suggestions as to decent/value for money pedals would be appreciated.

Coming with the new crank is also paint to match the bike colour so I should be able to touch it up myself. I paint a lot of GW miniatures so it should be easy enough. Thanks for all the advice though, greatly appreciated.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The waggling is a little play in the bearings, not uncommon, and has nothing to do with the threading into the crank. One pedal has more of a natural tendancy to unscrew itself than the other.

Many people DO make of mess of it unfortunately! Pedals falling off is common, and 99.999% of the time it is because they are not on tight enough or are not checked frequently enough.

It can be hard to judge the torque required. If you don't have a natural feel for these things get a mechanic to show you. You need 350 in.lbs of torque usually.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Technically, if you follow the structure of the contract to the letter, the sale of goods and distance selling regs wont apply to a cycle to work scheme, since its business to business not consumer. However, I doubt many retailers are aware of that or would want to treat a "customer" differently. I also suspect that most of the reputable retailers will replicate the spirit of consumer protection law in their terms.

Of course the moment you pay a top-up on the scheme you are back in the game as a consumer.