Is my Powertap hub battery dying?

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
My powertap stopped recording 8 miles into my commute on Friday and 12 miles into my commute on the way home. Basically the display went to --- and the computer eventually turned off. No amount of using the find function would bring it back again.

Done the same thing today.

Is this typcial of what happens when the hub battery is dying?

Also the manual mentions that you need a special tool to replace the hub battery which is included with hub however this is on loan and I don't have this. Is this tool necessary or is there anything else I can use?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, very much battery dying symptoms!

The cost can be huge!

As much as 3 pounds!

There is a 'special tool' but a piece of rubber and some elbow grease will do the 'turning the lid' job...

The inside is just a case of pulling out the battery bit, pulling out the batteries using a rare tool based on a popular drink (called something like a skroo dreyevur), replacing them and pushing the battery bit back in.
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Is this typcial of what happens when the hub battery is dying?
    Quite possibly. Wireless?
    If wired - then sometimes lots of water under the CPU contact can do same thing.
    doyler78 wrote:
    Also the manual mentions that you need a special tool to replace the hub battery which is included with hub however this is on loan and I don't have this. Is this tool necessary or is there anything else I can use?
    The hub cap can be a bugger to remove first time and the tool enables that. But try with your fingers to unscrew, sometimes you can get it.

Can use another tool, I used to use a multigrip with something to protect the platic, but now I have several of those hub cap removal tools.
  • doyler78
    Thanks.

I've just found the tool. Not what I was expecting a tool to look like and I did remember wondering what on earth it was for when it was included in the box.

Just took the hub cover off and the batteries are easy to get at so looks like a pretty simple job.

I have my batteries ordered however with the postal strike and the backlogs god knows when I'll get them :roll:

Bought 4 of the hub batteries and 2 of the computer batteries.

Total Cost: £7.93.

Sorry - shoud have said - yes it's a wireless unit - SL+
  • Batteries are usually available at local chemist store (well they are here).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Make sure you get the silver based batteries, not Alkaline!

Alkaline last about a week!
  • doyler78
    Thanks again.

I rang around both photographic shops and chemists and none have them. One of them even said "I haven't seen those in ages". Looks like they were perhaps more popular in the past.

Oh well will just have to wait and see when it turns up.
  • jimbo777
    jimbo777 Posts: 45
    To all Powertap users.
    My first set of hub batteries died after 3 months . Fair enough.
    I replaced them and after a month the transmission icon started flashing. Because it happened so soon I've ignored it and 2 months on the hub is still working fine.
    Why is the transmission icon flashing when clearly there is battery power?
    Moisture?