Spoke fix

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to fix a broken spoke off the back of my rear wheel but after reading through what guides i can find some seem to recommend different ways to fix.

bike is:spez rockhopper non disc, Alex rims

Am i correct in saying all i need to do is get new spoke and some rim tape,remove cassette trye ect.
remove old spoke then re-thread it back into place making sure to follow the correct "patten" for the spokes, then tighten up and done?

some guides go on about making the wheel true ect but others dont so unsure about this, seems a simple job though,or is a spoke job deceiving in difficulty?

cheers
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on it the wheel needs truing or not.

depending on you you may manage without removing the tyre.

the cassette may not need removing.

it is easier to take up the slack from the tyre side of the nipple.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • went to LBS and asked if they had spokes and was told no they dont but they can fix it if i bring it into the shop :roll:

So question now is, what tempary fix can i do untill i find a bike shop willing to sell me a spoke without flogging me their repair services...?

The spoke in question isnt bend or totally broken, its just broken away from the HUB but the nipple ect seems intact so any ideas?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go to another shop, spokes aren't that hard to find.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • think i managed to track down a shop that will sell me some but do i need to tell them anything more than what bike it needs to fit and what rims i have ie Alex rims ect?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As per supersonic. On the same side as the broken spoke measure the length of the spoke from the start of the straight part of the spoke at the hub, to the rim. this will give you approximately the spoke length. I would expect it will be around 260.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Whereabouts are you baabaablacksheep?

You WILL need to true the wheel afterwards, in 20 years I've never seen a spoke replace that doesnt need a retrue

If your anywhere near Staines/Heathrow then shout, I probably have a spare spoke or 100 and not only will I fix it for you but I'll also teach you how easy it is to do it yourself in future

By the way, you say the inner end has come away from the hub, that allmost certainly means the wheel isnt tensioned enough so probably need both wheels retensioning if one is low. Low tensioned wheels allow a small amount of movement each rotation and its that that fatigues the bend. Spokes should be under sufficient tension to never loosen enough to move
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • i would imagine that i might need to retrue the wheels but given the wheels are tbh not in a great shape i not sure how much better a true will make, but i will ofc try when i fit the new spoke, just not exspecting any great results after a bike shop said thats the best i going to get. :wink:

sadly im North London but thanks madmole for the help.

i relized the spoke broke when i went over a f.....ing big pothole in Dobbs weir in hoddesdon in the industrial estate road...8 " deep and 0.5 wide still not filled in.

got caught out and lost both tyres too on it, really needs to be fixed. :evil: