Broken my new bike in less than two weeks

Dan Ingram
Dan Ingram Posts: 79
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
After riding a Giant Rapid for the past 6 months I upgraded to a Specialized Secteur Sport that I ordered from leisure lakes a couple of weeks ago. I had to go there as my LBS doesn't do Specialized and that's the bike I wanted. They also have it on a good deal at the moment.

I gave the bike a quick going over today after a quick 10 mile ride to find a few spokes on the back wheel have worked loose, one is so loose the nipple has almost dropped off the end. It's something I can sort myself but I don't think I should have to really. The wheels were the first thing I was planning to upgrade on the bike anyway as im a bit of a fat git so is it worth me trying to get leisure lakes to sort me out some better wheels and me pay the extra or are they just going to tell me to take the wheel in and let them sort it?

I would have thought they should have checked them over before they sent it out as they apparently give the bike a PDI.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for some wheels to upgrade to from the mavic ones that come on the bike?

Dan
2011 Specialized Camber Pro
2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Comments

• How would you know? I've not bounced up any kerbs or dropped it down any big pot holes so I'm not sure I could have broken it. I do weigh just over 17 stone though so I'm wondering wether its just that they aren't strong enough?
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    I'd guess they were not built tightly enough so the non-driveside spokes were able to work loose. I've had it happen on cheap wheels I got from ebay, after tightening the spokes to the same tension as some hand-built wheels on another bike I've had no problem with them since. Hopefully if Leisure Lakes rebuild them you won't have further problems, if you do I'd get a decent hand-built back wheel as they are pretty bomb-proof.

On my audax/light tourer I now use 36 spoked wheels from Spa Cycles, they build good strong wheels.

http://www.harryrowland.co.uk/

""Harry Rowland's wheels feature some of the highest spoke tensions on test and the spoke tensions are very even. Spoke wind up had been completely controlled; not a single twang was heard when they were ridden and the build accuracy was excellent...."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW a PDI would have checked that the wheels were true, but the people who assembly bikes are often the least skilled and wouldn't check for sufficient and even spoke tension. I'd take the wheels back to Leisure Lakes and ask them to tension them properly. It's a common problem with many beginner bikes - wheels are machine-built and spoke tension is insufficient.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Had the same on Specialized Roubaix, £12 to tru and sort the wheel 2000 miles later not had any problems. I think it should have beeen picked up on my PDI but sadly it wasn't.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I had a similar problem with a new bike.

In the end i loosened all the spokes and got the LBS to true it from scratch which sorted it .

Factory built wheels tend to be done on a machine so they can bo not set up perfectly sometimes.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I just got my bike from Leisure Lakes and I must say they were pretty good setting it up. With regards your problem, I know I've been given a free six week tune up which suggests to me that they'd be happy to sort it out, and if the problem persists you have a good way of getting back in touch without it seeming like constant to-ing and fro-ing.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The standard wheels are quite high spoke count but that doesnt mean they were all correctly tensioned after it's bee put through a few miles and everything has settled down. I have only ever had a spoke come loose on a mountain bike I had, never on a road bike, then again I am only 11.5 stone.

Like I think somesone has said take it back early I am sure they won't mind as riding it like that will mean other spokes are taking the extra starin so they will start to go as they will have been weakened.
  • Dan Ingram wrote:
    After riding a Giant Rapid for the past 6 months I upgraded to a Specialized Secteur Sport that I ordered from leisure lakes a couple of weeks ago. I had to go there as my LBS doesn't do Specialized and that's the bike I wanted. They also have it on a good deal at the moment.

I gave the bike a quick going over today after a quick 10 mile ride to find a few spokes on the back wheel have worked loose, one is so loose the nipple has almost dropped off the end. It's something I can sort myself but I don't think I should have to really. The wheels were the first thing I was planning to upgrade on the bike anyway as im a bit of a fat git so is it worth me trying to get leisure lakes to sort me out some better wheels and me pay the extra or are they just going to tell me to take the wheel in and let them sort it?

I would have thought they should have checked them over before they sent it out as they apparently give the bike a PDI.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for some wheels to upgrade to from the mavic ones that come on the bike?

Dan

Dan, which Leisure Lakes was it? The guys in Lancaster seem to be alright, but both myself and a work mate has had numerous problems with the one that's down towards Southport...

He had a flight deck fitted twice (or so he thought) and it wasn't registering his gear changes either time. He turned back the hoods to find that the cables weren't even connected and needed a connector that wasn't there!
  • Its the one on the way to Southport. I usually use Apple Bikes but they don't do Specialized. I've sent them an e-mail to see what they can do. I don't really want to be going back and forth to Leisure Lakes as its a 2 hour round trip. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted at Apple Backs and get something back off Leisure Lakes. I think that might be a bit optimistic though :roll:
  • Don't write it off.....the fella with the flight deck got some cash back when he got his. It might be worth phoning up the Lancaster one and telling them you are in town and can they look at it as you bought it from the other shop? You may get lucky and they may say yes.....they are certainly a lot more helpful and knowledgeable!

Then again, Apple are pretty good and pretty local...you could also try Sam Taylor's on Vacarage Lane....they're not bad considering they primarily sell motorbikes
  • I did my school work experience at Sam Taylors. That was a while ago lol. They are pretty good but Apple is only round the corner and they are normally helpful, they can be a bit grumpy sometimes. I've left it with Leisure Lakes let's see what they say, it's a bit annoying though as I can't use the bike until it's sorted unless I do it myself
  • If you get really stuck, i have some spare Shimano R500s with a shimano hub on them (shock). No tyres, but at least they'll get you out on the bike if you have to take the other wheels back for any length of time? I work in St Annes so just let me know

Oh, and at 15 stone myself, they can take a pounding... :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dan Ingram wrote:
    After riding a Giant Rapid for the past 6 months I upgraded to a Specialized Secteur Sport that I ordered from leisure lakes a couple of weeks ago.

Dan

take it back and get them to fix it FOC as it is not fit to use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Excellent thanks for the offer olly I'll let you know how I get on :D

It will be getting done FOC I'm just trying to get it sorted without having to go back and forth to Preston.
  • Just to let you know where I'm up to with this. Leisure lakes have said they will happily pay for my LBS to re true the wheel but as I've decided to upgrade the wheels they are sorting me a good price on some Mavic Ksyrium Equippes. Just doing a bit more haggeling to see if I can get them even cheaper. Pretty good customer service really :D
  • A couple more emails later and I have a set of Ksyrium Equippe wheels arriving next week for less than I can find them anywhere on the net including Merlin cycles. Not a bad result really :)