A bitter winter to come? (We're all DOOMED content)

Comments

• appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    And he's not the only one predicting this either...

I've just bought my Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres for the cross bike having seen the long range forecasts, so that I'll still be able to bike to work if it does happen.

Good time to buy actually - they're in stock at Wiggle and 25% off. Bet that's not going to be the case come December, as last year you couldn't get them for love nor money.
  • 'I believe'

'It may'

'It's possible'
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The question is Cressers do you follow this guy regularly because he often forecasts correctly or have you just posted a link to the worst scenario you could find?
  • What would a truck driver know? The real weather men can't get the day after tomorrow right let alone anything long range
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Basing it on the past few years, the extended solar minimum, SST declining, PDO & AMO going negative, I wouldn't be too surprised if we get another severe winter.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Don't forget the AFG and HYL effectively reversing which will no doubt invert the polar resonance..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Don't forget the AFG and HYL effectively reversing which will no doubt invert the polar resonance..

That lead to the smokestack incident of 1975 and I think we all remember how that one ended up :shock:
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    Yay, snow :D

(I like snow)

(And BTW, who needs snow tyres just get some decent MTB tyres)
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I really hope with have a snow free winter this year.

Don't really want to have to fork out for a CX bike but maybe an ideal time come October to use cycle to work scheme. :idea:
  • appletrees
    I'd like to see you get 26" MTB tyres on 700C wheels. That would need really, really big tyre levers I think. Which is why I bought snow tyres for the CYCLOCROSS bike.

:wink:

And having ridden decent MTB tyres on my MTB in the snow, I can say that they were fine where the snow was soft, but where it was icy, they were utterly, utterly useless.
  • at least my new turbo will get some usage :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I hope so, I like snow :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    at least my new turbo will get some usage :D

Are you a masochist? The prospective use of a turbo should never induce a smile.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    There's no fixie on this link.

FAIL.
  • Oh so just a normal winter here. Yup, hard to cycle in snow regardless of tyres when it's waist deep. Turbo trainer with the roadie set up from November, when it snows it's Rocky IV stuff for me, pulling logs about outside from the woodshed.... :lol:

Winter.....marvellous! 8)
  • Maybe a winter job in the med is on the cards... :roll:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    appletrees wrote:
    I'd like to see you get 26" MTB tyres on 700C wheels. That would need really, really big tyre levers I think. Which is why I bought snow tyres for the CYCLOCROSS bike.

:wink:

And having ridden decent MTB tyres on my MTB in the snow, I can say that they were fine where the snow was soft, but where it was icy, they were utterly, utterly useless.

If you have a disc-equipped cross bike then easy, fit some 26" MTB wheels; effectively lowers your gear and helps keeps your CofG low and easier to get your foot down too. Mind you was contemplating some studded tyres for ice/ hard pack as no rubber tyre is good on icey stuff/ refrozen snow.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yup just bought a pair of Schwalbe marathon winter studded tyre for the CX bike. I use the bike every day regardless of the weather, although last year when it was minus 16 it was getting a bit much, not really for the snow/ice, more because of the cold feet and hands, I was finding 20 - 30 minutes the absolute max before I started to seize up.
    Would have got a pair of spikes for last winter but the ice came early and just used the CX nobblies I'd used before in the snow. Great fun in snow, but like anything marginal on the ice so we'll see how the spikes do. Now we just need it cold again, at least it's better than the pi**ing rain and gale force winds.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Let's hope he's wrong, I hate the cold :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Are you a masochist? The prospective use of a turbo should never induce a smile.

It's new, he has nt used it yet, [epic whisper]he does nt knooowww[/epic whisper]
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Looks like I ought to get my trike back on the road. A two wheel drive Higgins is the perfect pedal cycle when the roads are slippery. That's if you can ride a trike of course. Bicyclists sometimes have problems with that :)
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    It was cold and raining on "kalten Sophie tag" this year, which is a sure warning for us all.

Wasn't there a truck driver in the HItch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy who actually caused the weather? I think it always rained on him, so he made his fourtune travelling the Middle East.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Had a look at the Scwalbe Winter Tyres. £33 EACH!!!! :shock:

Time to hunt down the lowest price
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Ahh the weather doomsayers... as predicatable as...the weather.

The only accurate forecast you can have is to look out the window, there will be weather of that have no doubt!
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but if it snows this year then I'm having a BBQ.

BBQ'd food and ice cold beer.............what could go wrong??! 8)
  • ddraver wrote:

It's new, he has nt used it yet, [epic whisper]he does nt knooowww[/epic whisper]

:cry:
  • appletrees
    They Schwalbe Snow Studs were down to £25 at Wiggle about 2 weeks ago.
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    hmmm I'm actually hoping for a cold one - there's nothing worse than the cold drizzly rubbishy not snowy winters that we get... at least it's something different?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    orangepip wrote:
    hmmm I'm actually hoping for a cold one - there's nothing worse than the cold drizzly rubbishy not snowy winters that we get... at least it's something different?

Oddly I was thinking the same on the way into work in the rain today.Pear tree has fruited for the first time in 10 years,worked out it was because of the deep cold winter killing off the moths/eggs that normally prevent this.Dont like pears though.Or winter,come to that.

POINTLESS POST WARNING....
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Hey ho, snow, ice, whatever. Stud tyres on my regular bike, knobblies on the CX & decide on the day if its solid or squidgy underwheel. Cold is state of mind & in/appropriate clothing.