Kiddy Trailers - advice please

Dave1983
Dave1983 Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi all,
looking to get a trailer for the nipper (9 months), but cant decide which one, any advice will be apreciated, looking at 2 seater for the future!
Looked at adventure AT3 (£160 amazon), Bumper Duo (£179 Local shop), Halfords, Raleigh.
Do any have suspension?
Thanks.

Comments

• ColMc100
    ColMc100 Posts: 21
    I recently bought the Bellelli Bike Taxi from Halfords. So far I love it - I use it to take my 10 month son to nursery, and he seems to love it too. The straps are a wee bit on the long side, so it's hard to get a good, tight fit on him but we bought some child reins and use them around the frame too - he seems more than safe and snug now.

I went for the Bellelli because it had a hard base - we go over some pretty bumpy and wet terrain on the journey nad I just wanted a biit more protection. I've got to say that so far I've no complaints at all.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    The two I've had the most experience with are the
    http://www.croozer.co.uk/ - we got an older model (?) 737 which was for one child, so I assume the one on this website is the newer version?

or the Chariot. They have a rudimentary suspension - however you tend not to go too quickly with child attached so suspension isn't mandatory.

We don't get too many Burley trailers out here - I don't know if it's indicative of what you get in the UK, but the two I have seen had a lot of annoying things about then - most of which is it didn't track centred behind the bike! But other things like the rear flap would just blow open, the seatbelt clips... I could go on.

Whatever you go for, make sure it has a solid hitch that attaches thru the axle/QR of the bike, and then a solid attachment of the trailer onto it. Some of them just strap on to the chain stay - not the best way to go IMHO.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • We bought one of these recently and can't fault it for the money:

http://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ucts_id=42

It has the benefit of coming with the stroller handle and front wheel so can be converted to a push-chair quickly and easily. Collapses down nice and flat so it fits into a car boot with minimal hassle and has a decent size storage area at the back for carrying bags, clothes etc.

Build quality is good and it mounts onto the axle so is nice and secure. KMS also sell additional mounting plates so the trailer can be swapped between bikes.

I bought mine through Amazon but I think they are also sold on Ebay.

Olly
  • We bought one of these recently and can't fault it for the money:

http://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ucts_id=42

It has the benefit of coming with the stroller handle and front wheel so can be converted to a push-chair quickly and easily. Collapses down nice and flat so it fits into a car boot with minimal hassle and has a decent size storage area at the back for carrying bags, clothes etc.

Build quality is good and it mounts onto the axle so is nice and secure. KMS also sell additional mounting plates so the trailer can be swapped between bikes.

I bought mine through Amazon but I think they are also sold on Ebay.

Olly

very interested in this thread.

Can you recline this? How suitable is it for a baby i.e. 9m-12m?

• very interested in this thread.

Can you recline this? How suitable is it for a baby i.e. 9m-12m?

The seat is fixed but not too upright, the only mod we made was to put a cushion under our son to make longer journeys more comfortable (incidentally we also found the cosy toes from our McLaren pushchair will fit in using the straps, which will be a bonus come the colder months).

The user book doesn't give ages, only weights, but all the advice I got when looking said that the child should be able to sit unsupported and be able to hold their head up. We used a similar one on holiday last year when our son was 12 months old and he was fine (in fact he slept for most of the trip!)

Olly
  • We've had an Avenir for years. Good solid floor. Fits two kids fairly easily and has a boot for a bit of shopping or a picnic.

I would disagree with Baudman above about having to get one that fits to the axle. The Avenir fits to the chainstay and I've never had any problems with it. After about 3 years fairly heavy use I did need to change the fixing on the trailer as it had worn, but that was about £20.