Nico Roche book

pomtarr
pomtarr Posts: 318
edited August 2011 in Pro race
Just spotted this. Due out in September.

Inside The Peloton: My Life as a Professional Cyclist

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Peloton-Life-Professional-Cyclist/dp/1848271107/ref=pd_sim_b_6
"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shouldn't it be My Short Career as a pro cyclist ?

His dad waited til he'd won the Triple before releasing his book (I think ?)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    He writes well, and I'm a sucker for any cycling book, so, to quote Ms Tree, I'll order it at the local Library.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Nico is a nice fella and being the proverbial son of me father it can't always be easy. However at the ripe old age of 27 and having 5 pro victories I feel it isn’t time yet for the book. He could have another 7 years or so, I’ll wait till then maybe.
  • John Gadret was asked to ghost write it and said "F--- off". Again.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Nico is a nice fella and being the proverbial son of me father it can't always be easy. However at the ripe old age of 27 and having 5 pro victories I feel it isn’t time yet for the book. He could have another 7 years or so, I’ll wait till then maybe.

I think there are plenty of his age group we didn't and won't hear of....and who didn't have dad's surname to trade on. So, I disagree Ron Stuart.. son of father has helped son unfairly, very unfairly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I think there are plenty of his age group we didn't and won't hear of....and who didn't have dad's surname to trade on. So, I disagree Ron Stuart.. son of father has helped son unfairly, very unfairly.

Yeah, Ireland's positively overrun with riders who could be top 10 in a GT if only they were given a chance. I suppose Daddy was there to push him up the mountains in the Vuelta, was he?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Yeah, Ireland's positively overrun with riders who could be top 10 in a GT if only they were given a chance. I suppose Daddy was there to push him up the mountains in the Vuelta, was he?

Not many sportsmen can carry the weight of their surname when their dad was famous. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Michael Laudrup.

Here's his dad, not that well known in the UK I suppose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orIJvbwnPA
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Not many sportsmen can carry the weight of their surname when their dad was famous. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Michael Laudrup.

Here's his dad, not that well known in the UK I suppose... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3orIJvbwnPA

Paolo Maldini, son of Cesare Maldini, perhaps?
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Not his fault though is it? What's he supposed to do to avoid that criticism? But yeah, maybe we should hear from the others in his age group as well.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Paolo Maldini, son of Cesare Maldini, perhaps?

Good spot. There are others, I'm sure, but there are also the Caspar Schmeichels and Jordi Cruyffs....
  • RichN95.

I'd never heard Finn Laudrup - very similar to Michael in that clip.

Other sons who excelled are the Manning brothers in NFL - their dad was an NFL quarterback of some note (I'm no expert in that field).

Also in hockey, one of the German men's team that won the gold medal in Beijing is called Florian Keller. Previously his sister (2004), elder brother (1992) and father (1972) all had won gold medals. And his grandfather 'only' won a silver in 1936.

As a West Ham fan, I can remember Frank Lampard getting a lot of abuse when he first started out due to perceived nepotism.
  • Frank Lampard?
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • RichN95.
    Frank Lampard?

Yes he plays for Chelsea.

His dad (Frank Lampard Snr) is a West Ham legend and was assistant manager at the time. And his uncle (Harry Redknapp) was manager at the time.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

Other sons who excelled are the Manning brothers in NFL - their dad was an NFL quarterback of some note (I'm no expert in that field).

Also in hockey, one of the German men's team that won the gold medal in Beijing is called Florian Keller. Previously his sister (2004), elder brother (1992) and father (1972) all had won gold medals. And his grandfather 'only' won a silver in 1936.

As a West Ham fan, I can remember Frank Lampard getting a lot of abuse when he first started out due to perceived nepotism.

Yes, he's eerily like Michael in his style. I won't mention Brian, who wasn't fit to lace Michael's boots... Nor the current crop of Jnr Laudrup's Denmark is waiting on...

I still think Lampard is overrated, mind. And fat, obviously (though strangely not actually visibly).

Now gone very seriously off topic.

Speaking of Redknapp - Jamie, litwally.

OK, looks like my original point was probably rubbish then.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:

Maybe it was more to do with the fact he was/is a bloated ovehyped t wat.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Good spot. There are others, I'm sure, but there are also the Caspar Schmeichels and Jordi Cruyffs....

England Holland Euro 96. I'm about 10 rows from the touchline at the old Wembley when Jordi bends to pick the ball up, someone in front stands stands and shouts out, "Oi Cruyff, you're shit" and sits down, it was a quiet moment and clearly Jordi has heard as he looked up. Just as he looks up the guy stands again and shouts, "Your old man was shit too"

Maybe it was a 'had to be there' moment but it was just so funny.
    Without a doubt he was half right :)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I could name a few from 1990s who might have been if they'd been given a fair chance. I accept though that is a natural for a son to want to emulate dad, but I do feel sorry for those who don't have the contacts that brings and nobody and nothing will persuade me otherwise!
  • In Ice hockey, at least Bobby Hull and son Brett Hull, I believe hockey legend Gordie Howe's sons followed in his footsteps and may have even played on the same team some. Ice hockey of all sports may have more examples of this.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dougzz wrote:

England Holland Euro 96. I'm about 10 rows from the touchline at the old Wembley when Jordi bends to pick the ball up, someone in front stands stands and shouts out, "Oi Cruyff, you're shit" and sits down, it was a quiet moment and clearly Jordi has heard as he looked up. Just as he looks up the guy stands again and shouts, "Your old man was shit too"

Maybe it was a 'had to be there' moment but it was just so funny.
    Without a doubt he was half right :)

That's just brilliant. :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Dave_1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I could name a few from 1990s who might have been if they'd been given a fair chance. I accept though that is a natural for a son to want to emulate dad, but I do feel sorry for those who don't have the contacts that brings and nobody and nothing will persuade me otherwise!

Cycling's a peculiar sport in the way it relates to sponsors getting air time. To that extent Nico has a bit of extra value as he comes with a ready made story for the commentators.
  • Ron Stuart
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

What father wouldn't want to help their son to achieve and isn't it common for those who have the means, to say pay for a private education for instance. The ruling classes of this nation practice an on going self seeding ideal about who succeeds them.
    At the end of the day it's not Stephen Roche that pedaled to a 7th in last years Vuelta but his son and it was his legs that got him over some big mountains etc. Nico’s got talent maybe not top draw but talent none the less.

I take it, like me you won’t be buying the book then?
  • Jacques Villeneuve, Nico Rosberg, Damon Hill, Micheal Andretti, Nelson Piquet jnr.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • moray_gub
    dougzz wrote:

England Holland Euro 96.

ahhh memories.........footballs coming home and all that !
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Surely sportsmen are better off writing after their careers so it doesn't affect what goes on in the remainder. Unless it's so bland it doesn't really matter.
  • Nobody's mentioned Axel Merckx, yet he did OK ultimately. How does the younger Roche compare with what younger Merckx had achieved by 27?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Moray Gub wrote:
    A Scot comments on football and England, nothing really needs to be said.
  • RichN95.
    dougzz wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Moray has clearly forgotten this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9p0ExBpqeY
  • moray_gub
    edited August 2011
    dougzz wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

The thing is we know we are totally shite you lot delude yourselves that somehow you are a decent side totally forgetting that your league is so strong because of foreigners and the English players tend to make up the journeymen of each team with the odd exception (scholes for one).I will give you credit for something though and that is having the Celts of this island in hoots every two years...........the next Euro will be just another example of this.
  • moray_gub
    RichN95 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Moray has clearly forgotten this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9p0ExBpqeY

Great goal from the wifebeater.
  • Ron Stuart
    Nobody's mentioned Axel Merckx, yet he did OK ultimately. How does the younger Roche compare with what younger Merckx had achieved by 27?

He had twelve pro wins eleven of them came after he was 27, as I said previously Nico's maybe a little premature writing a book :!:

Me thinks you knew that my friend :wink: