Creaking noise

2008paul
2008paul Posts: 47
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there guys,

For about the last 3 mouths now when I'm pedaling on my bike they is always a creaking noise. When I'm not pedaling the noise ain't there.

Any one know what it could be? :roll:

I've checked the normal stuff like making sure every thing is tight but I'm still getting it :(

Thank you,
Paul

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rive-train

have a read
    also check bars/brakes/shifters etc etc etc
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    checked your chainring bolts?
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    i've just discovered a creaking on my bike, turns out it's the saddle rails in the clamps, put some silcone in the clamp and hey presto no more creaking.
  • 2008paul
    Thanks guys.

I've had a read at some of that info and can't see any cracks or owt like that.

No, ain't checked the chainring bolts as I don't know what they are but I'll have a look on google.

It could be the saddle rails seeing as it only happens when pedaling.

I need to get some more tools to take things of there as I don't have the right ones for that. I was thinking of taking it to Halfords and letting them take a look seeing as I don't know to much when it comes to fixing things. I just know the basics. But, I want to try and fix it myself if I can to save me money.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • 2008paul
    Sorry for DP

Today I phoned up Halfords and they said it will be about 2+ weeks. So, I can't get them to fix it as I can't be without the bike that long as I use it mostly every day.

So, now need to buy some tools and hope I can fix it. I'm going to try and get a vid upload of the noise if I can too show you the noise.

I'm thinking it may be the suspension on the bike..
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Does it happen standing up and pedaling
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Are your pedal bearings knackered? Try/borrow another set of pedals and see if things go quiet.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    Is it a Boardman??
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I had the same on my Heckler. Greased every damn bolt, tightened everything right and eventually found it was the seat collar on the seat tube. Bit of copper slip between surfaces and I'm back in stealth mode.

Drove me mad for ages.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fridgehq
    fridgehq Posts: 54
    I had that problem turned out to be the bottom bracket
  • Chainring bolts. Ive got the SLX chainset and the bolts that hold the middle ring dont come loose but somehow need to be tweeked every now n then. The tweeking stops the creaking.
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • chrisski
    chrisski Posts: 79
    i had same problems and it was my bb. take that out and feel if its rough
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    As said above. Its 98% the BB. Remove it check it for wear, if its ok, regrease and place back in. Its prob the grease thats been washed away when you have washed the bike.