Newish road bike squeaky when peddling hard

blatchcorn
blatchcorn Posts: 35
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi there

I have cycled about 350 miles in my Cannondale Caaad 10 Shimano 105 http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/2011/bikes/road/elite-road/2011-caad10/2011-caad-10-105

When I push down hard when peddling I get a squeaky sound. This happens both when I stand up and sit down and when pushing down with my left and right foot.

Could anyone suggest anything I could do to solve this?
Is this a serious issue?
Should I put more miles in the bike before taking it to the local bike shop (it has already had its first service.)

Thanks

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I had a similar problem on my Cannondale. It went away after a few days.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What shoes and pedals are you using? I get this because I use SPDs and the sole of the shoe rubs on the axle.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BeaconJon
    BeaconJon Posts: 294
    I had the same thing after returning from the Alpes to see the Tour.

My bike got pretty wet as did I. I tracked it down to my Shimano shoes fairly quickly. I removed the cleats, cleaned them and the shoes. Applied a little grease to the cleat bolts and sprayed some silicone spray on the cleats ( the side that sits against the shoe). Seems to have done the trick on my ride to work this morning.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you lubricated the chain or the jockey wheels in the rear mech during your 350 miles?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Remove the pedal and check if the bearing is smooth.

As it is Hollowtech, it could also be that the bolts that secure your left crank arm in place are loose. I would remove them, unscrew the plastic cap, then pull off the arm, clean, grease, put it back, push it in with a good slap, screw the plastic cap in with the tool or with a coin (don't overtighten), then fasten the two bolts in tight.
    If that doesn't work, it's probably not the chainset...
    As you have the crank arm off, push out the drive side too and check the BB bearings for play... but I doubt it's them
    left the forum March 2023
  • I had a similar issue on my Synapse Alloy 105, but only when pushing the left pedal; it turns out that the cranks were not at the correct torque setting, 38-41Nm I think, and this is a fairly common issue with the FSA chainsets. I took it back to the shop and they re-tightened it which fixed the issue for a month. The creaking returned so I bought myself a torque wrench and some thread locker (not the permanent stuff) and this has fixed the issue for me (about 1000 miles without relapse). When I did the job myself I also found that the shop had been a bit sparing with the grease when they had installed the BB so I gave everything a liberal coating as well.
  • Remove the pedal and check if the bearing is smooth.

As it is Hollowtech, it could also be that the bolts that secure your left crank arm in place are loose. I would remove them, unscrew the plastic cap, then pull off the arm, clean, grease, put it back, push it in with a good slap, screw the plastic cap in with the tool or with a coin (don't overtighten), then fasten the two bolts in tight.
    If that doesn't work, it's probably not the chainset...
    As you have the crank arm off, push out the drive side too and check the BB bearings for play... but I doubt it's them

No it isnt .. it's BB30 and thus should be rock hard no skweeky.. no need to touch..
    sounds like a shoe/pedal thing tho'
    My pen won't write on the screen