New lidl event 28.07.11

calonuk
calonuk Posts: 78
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Looking at the work stand - don't want to spend loads on one so any good? Similar to any that have been sold before?
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    That wall bracket looks ridiculously flimsy. Wouldn't trust it with one bike, let alone two.

Fancy a work stand though.

Same week as the Rapha sample sale starts though. Bank account going to take a hammering.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Blandiblub wrote:
    Looking at the work stand - don't want to spend loads on one so any good? Similar to any that have been sold before?

I have one of these and got to say its been great for my needs.

Prhaps not as good as a professional bike shop would have, but great for all your home needs I would suspect
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've got the workstand.

It's, err, not very good. Clamp doesn't grip the frame particularly well, so there's lots of movement you could frankly do without while working on the bike. The adjustable bits don't hold particularly tightly either, so there's way too much play.

I'd save your pennies and buy a proper one, tbh. I'm gonna have to get rid of mine and buy a new one after just over a year.
  • ketsbaia
    I've got the workstand.

It's, err, not very good. Clamp doesn't grip the frame particularly well, so there's lots of movement you could frankly do without while working on the bike. The adjustable bits don't hold particularly tightly either, so there's way too much play.

I'd save your pennies and buy a proper one, tbh. I'm gonna have to get rid of mine and buy a new one after just over a year.
  • Blast. No backpacks.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I've got the workstand.

Totally the opposite of my experience! -
    wonder if we are talking about the same bikestand?

I have not found any of the problems you seem to have experienced

[alternatively, you could not know how to use it properly whereas I am perfect in every way :wink: ]
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ketsbaia
    spen666 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I've got the workstand.

Totally the opposite of my experience! -
    wonder if we are talking about the same bikestand?

I have not found any of the problems you seem to have experienced

[alternatively, you could not know how to use it properly whereas I am perfect in every way :wink: ]

It's exactly the same one. I had to send the first clamp back as it wouldn't tighten at all - think the spring was bust or something.

The clamp jaws, being hard plastic, don't grip the frame hard enough, so you get play from side to side and there's no way you can tighten them up enough to prevent that. If they were rubber, they'd work, but they're not.

Also, the bit that tightens the clamp pole won't tighten enough to prevent it rocking from side to side.

Plus the spring has now gone in the clamp jaws, so it's next to useless. Save for just liftng the bike off the floor.

I'd save pennies and buy a Park Tools one, tbh. Buy good and once being a particularly appropriate maxim in this case.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is that a ghostbike in the pic of the workstand?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    redvee wrote:

i think its a just a shadow of its former self
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Thank for the headsup. Bought the computer last time round and it's been excellent on my shopping hybrid. In fact, it indirectly led to me buying the road bike.....

I may buy the stand, as I think some old brake blocks wedged in the clamps might reduce it's shortcomings, and some shorts and a top this time, and, if those locks are light enough, one of those as well as an addition to lock the saddle to the bike (it is clearly far too flimsy for anything more serious).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wrap an old tube round the frame, pleanty for the clamp to bite on if it's an issue!

No Mitts, that is a PITA as the lad needs some, have to wait for Aldi!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ketsbaia
    Wrap an old tube round the frame, pleanty for the clamp to bite on if it's an issue!

Now that's an idea.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Blandiblub wrote:

Got one last year - if you're lloking for quality kit, forget it, but if you're after value for money, you couldn't beat it.

-Spider-
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,348
    This is today by the way.

And Rapha tomorrow!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    redvee wrote:

Imagine how fast it goes up hills it's very light
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Cheap and cheerful. If they only did a jersey with Lidl emblazoned across it
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    I bought a couple of pairs of the leggings; tried one pair on and took em straight back. The pad was a ridiculous shape that got in the way instead of being an intrinsic part of the trousers, and the sizing is a bit ambiguous for my proportions at least. Can't fault the Lidl staff though; paid by debit card, cash refund in hand to the nearest next pound up. I'm 2p on the whole job!!