Carbon Dropouts

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Is there any way of gauging how tight to do up quick release skewers on a frame with carbon dropouts (Cannodale 6)? With my aluminium bikes I'm fairly comfortable that in compression, the drop outs will cope with anything the qr can give, but what's carbon like in compression?

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Should be solid so I wouldn't really worry about it, assuming you don't use a pipe for extra leverage when doing up your qr :p
  • nferrar wrote:
    Should be solid so I wouldn't really worry about it, assuming you don't use a pipe for extra leverage when doing up your qr :p

nah haven't done that for weeks!

Cheers for the reply
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW carbon drop-outs are solid, so you'd have to go some to exert excessive force with a QR - probably bend the lever first. You might damage the clear coat / lacquer though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no different to doing up Qr on a aluminum or steel frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the replies, reassuring to know.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If you could damage it with your hand and a 2 inch lever, how long do you think it would last when you hit a pothole at 30mph? If you guessed 0.00034 seconds, you'd be right.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    If you could damage it with your hand and a 2 inch lever, how long do you think it would last when you hit a pothole at 30mph? If you guessed 0.00034 seconds, you'd be right.

Different directional forces surely?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    P_Tucker wrote:

Probably, but please don't call me Shirley
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:

Probably, but please don't call me Shirley

And I spelt it wrong :cry: