what drink do you take in your camelbak?

2»

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Water.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    When you say you freeze it is that just sticking it in the freexer when empty and do you do this now and again.
    Lee
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    Just whatever cordial we have in the house. To clean rince it out with hot water then fold up leave it in the freezer till next time i use it.

Whats the crack with the adding salt ?? I presume this is to replace salts you use while riding but adding it to your drink must make you drink loads ?
  • Water. Hot days a Nuun tablet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    theshrew wrote:
    Whats the crack with the adding salt ?? I presume this is to replace salts you use while riding but adding it to your drink must make you drink loads ?
    Replacing salts basically. I just add a pinch and a bit and I seem to go through the same amount of drink as without.

Was getting cramps occasionally and read about salt to sort it out. Since adding a bit of salt I've not had a problem, but could be pure coincidence.
  • For normal cycling just water juice, for longer rides in hot weather more juice and / or separate container of coconut water, (hmmmm)

For festivals i fill it up with Barcardi and top it up with pure fruit juice of any variety - then dance for 2 hours, annoy Mrs stealf and fall aslepp in the car. Very shareable and people tend to like the novelty.
    You know your a Cyclist when a surgeon tells you you need a heart valve replacement and you ask if you have a choice between Presta and Schrader.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    phelim12 wrote:
    thanks i was asking as i found the hose a nightmare to clean after the high 5 powder, i'll try water with a isotonic tab in.
    I have a long tube cleaner brush to scrub the hose out. It works well. As with a lot of people I also freeze it, wash it out with water and every now and then some milton fluid.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    deadkenny wrote:
    theshrew wrote:
    Replacing salts basically. I just add a pinch and a bit and I seem to go through the same amount of drink as without.

Was getting cramps occasionally and read about salt to sort it out. Since adding a bit of salt I've not had a problem, but could be pure coincidence.
    Salt definitely works, but is a little crude. Soemthing like an isotonic sports drink, or Nuun will vahe salt(S) - lots of verious salts, not just sodium.
    A pinch of it makes no harm - when you're sweating heavily you will lose a lot of minerals anyway.
  • High juice, water, pinch of salt and a pour of sugar!
    I think a lot of it in your head. I used to use various sports powders, but if I ran out and just had to take water or cordial, then it got in my head during the ride, that I was tired because of my drink!

I always make sure I get all the air out of the bladder before I put it in the bag. Put the bladder on the floor with pipe at he highest point and suck the air out. I often leave it for a couple of weeks when I take a different size bladder or bag and I've never had any issues with skanky bladders. I guess the lack of trapped air must help!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Holland and Barrett iso energy orange mixed with robinsons sugar free squash. I'm contemplating using 2 smaller bladders though one with energy drink one with plain water
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    water
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    High 5. Never empty it or wash it out until the next time I use it, which is often a couple of months, rinse and throw it in the freezer overnight, works a charm!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Water only - and it pretty much never needs cleaning out as long as you drain it after each ride.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    Water mainly, longer hot rides Nuun
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Water only, but I carry a 750ml bottle on the frame with zero highs tablets dissolved in it
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Robinsons apple and blackcurrent and elete water. Works for me. i used to use Powerbar carb mix but it stained my Camelback orange and it was cleaned after every use. What must it have been doing to my insides!!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Water only here.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Frosty H2O.
    Or Special Brew if I want to make things interesting.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Long rides - High 5 Zero/SiS Go Electrolyte
    Short Rides - dont bother
    Festivals - Vodka, Gine, Tequila, Run and Lime - add coke after for that long island iced tea!

i have been using the same resevoir for ages and i actually decided to look after this one and wash it, even after the alcohol it was fine, took two washes and both times used a milton sterilising tablet!
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    echo what a few have said, water only, keep your mixes for the bottle, and even then put water in your bottle and take the tablets/power to mix in a req.

in our last 3 day ride we had one guy ill from putting too much crap in his camelbak!
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cborrman wrote:
    echo what a few have said, water only, keep your mixes for the bottle, and even then put water in your bottle and take the tablets/power to mix in a req.

in our last 3 day ride we had one guy ill from putting too much crap in his camelbak!

Crap is never a good idea, lacking in essential nutrients.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    pure unfiltered tap water, fill it and chuck it in the freezer, i only use it when i plan to go on a long ride that way it can be sat out for a while to thaw it out a bit, that nice big block of ice in the middle keeps the water cold for the full ride, i also have an 800ml bottle that is always with me filled with the same unfiltered tap water, not sure if its because we are hard up here in scotland or if its just cause im missible and wont spen money on anything better :lol:
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    paul_75 wrote:
    pure unfiltered tap water, fill it and chuck it in the freezer, i only use it when i plan to go on a long ride that way it can be sat out for a while to thaw it out a bit, that nice big block of ice in the middle keeps the water cold for the full ride, i also have an 800ml bottle that is always with me filled with the same unfiltered tap water, not sure if its because we are hard up here in scotland or if its just cause im missible and wont spen money on anything better :lol:

or you have better water as yours is filtered through better mineral rocks, the water straight from the tap in glossop used to be better than bottled water. Water in bristol takes like ass water
  • Joey1986
    Joey1986 Posts: 23
    High 5 or Nuun tabs.
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    kaiser83 wrote:
    paul_75 wrote:

or you have better water as yours is filtered through better mineral rocks, the water straight from the tap in glossop used to be better than bottled water. Water in bristol takes like ass water

i herd from a few people that water in my area is good, im in the north section of dumfriesshire and my sister live 30 miles away in ayr and she reckons her water is minging compaired to ours
  • Anonymous
    Even Thames water is good. Healthier than many untreated bottled mineral water arguably. Infinitely cheaper also.

Still, regional differences in tap water taste usually is based on the difference between soft and hard water. Some prefer one to another. All fine, just the taste varies.
  • Its gotta be a couple of bottles of cold stella.... :P
  • Anonymous
    deadkenny wrote:
    Even Thames water is good. Healthier than many untreated bottled mineral water arguably. Infinitely cheaper also.

Still, regional differences in tap water taste usually is based on the difference between soft and hard water. Some prefer one to another. All fine, just the taste varies.
    Quite right - the quality standard for mains water is actually higher than for bottled. Not sure where they measure it though, I suppose further and further down the pipelines it may get lower in quality, but I guess that's why the standard is so high.

The difference may not always be down to soft/hard water. It may be down to which reservoir. The water at home tastes much fresher, for example, than the water at work - they both come from different reservoirs, a few miles away from each other.
  • water!