Rear Mech gone!

stevedb55
stevedb55 Posts: 52
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Came out of work yesterday to find some delightful person had broken my chain, disconnected the cable and removed my rear mech (Shimano 105)

As the bike was locked up in a company provided cycle store, does anyone know if they have any legal liability? There is the usual "parked at owners risk" signs, so I'm not holding my breath......

Cheers

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Why would they be liable? It's not their fault. Unfortunate, I grant you.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Any CCTV to speak of?

You need to report the matter to the Police for a start...

Is it an employee only parking place; is it another employee who's nicked it?
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    cloggsy wrote:
    Any CCTV to speak of?

You need to report the matter to the Police for a start...

And unfortunately an instant finish! But at least you "may" get a crime number.

And if you have insurance they may pay out. Wouldn't hold ya breath though even if there is CCTV
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Must've been someone who knows a bit about bikes, your average Joe on the street would not know how to break a chain and undo the cabling etc and probably wouldn't be bothered...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Must've been someone who knows a bit about bikes,

Not that much or they would have known that you can take the jockey wheel bolts out of the mech and remove the mech without breaking the chain.

But they went for the quickest option I guess.
  • 'parked at owner's risk' means exactly that. But they may help you to figure out who did it (cctv, security card access, any non-employees working on site that day).