Weylandt monument destroyed by vandals

harrylennon13
harrylennon13 Posts: 43
edited August 2011 in Pro race
229667_207414165974443_205637216152138_533570_927623_n.jpg[/url]

"A monument placed in memory of Wouter Weylandt, the Belgian cyclist who was killed in a high-speed crash during this year's Giro d'Italia, was destroyed by vandals during the night of Thursday the 28th/Friday the 29th of July."

I'm lost for words really. Disgraceful.

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    There are no words for such a despicable act. What is the mentality of some people who are supposed to be part of the Human Race.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Disgraceful indeed.
    The guy was a cyclist so can't see how would feel he was deserving of such an act!!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Unbelievable!
    I'd think it possible & disgusting in the UK, but to happen in Belgium?
    If the morons are found, the local courts will probably just give them a slap on the wrist.
    Then the local cyclists will give them a proper slap!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Anyone destroying or damaging any monument or such like for any person is a disgrace

And should be executed, without trial, by single gun shot to the face.

</extreme>
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Anyone destroying or damaging any monument or such like for any person is a disgrace

And should be executed, without trial, by single gun shot to the face.

</extreme>
    Death is hardly a punishment. Once you're gone, you're gone. Gunshot to the bollocks would be more appropriate.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Absolute scum.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Shocking.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    This is disgusting. Looks like they've gone at it with a sledgehammer. The mentality of some morons.

Just goes to show there is scum of the earth in any "civilised" country now :(
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Unfortunately there are far too many such rubbish people around. Probably have never known any better their whole lives and probably never will.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I bet the pond life put more effort into destroying that than they've ever put into a day's work.
  • Such a sad site and it makes me sick to my stomach that someone is capable of this despicable act.
    To call the perpetrators 'scum' is too kind.
    RIP Wouter.
  • It is a sad sight and despicable someone would do this but I still save a thought and wonder why the red glass candle holders on the corners are not broken. The vases of flowers must have been put upright. Maybe it was cleaned up before the photo was taken but it does make me wonder if something else could have happened at the same time. Just saying
  • BilgeRat
    BilgeRat Posts: 23
    zammmmo wrote:
    Unfortunately there are far too many such rubbish people around. Probably have never known any better their whole lives and probably never will.
    Yes, we should be dissappointed but not surprised. There are quite a lot of people who would be best classified as vermin on this planet. Unfortunately it is all part of the diversity which is the human race and along with the saints also comes a few scum at the other end of the bell curve.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Castration is toooooo good for the scum ,but a least it does look like it will repair.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Absolute scum, no thought for the distress this will cause his wife and family.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Unbelievable!

Was the monument in Belgium or was it placed near the accident site in Italy?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    probably kids

TBH that is a pretty insubstantial build...deserves something better

take the opportunity to get in something hefty
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bilirubin wrote:
    Unbelievable!

Was the monument in Belgium or was it placed near the accident site in Italy?

The monument was in Ghent, palced on a regular training route of Weylandt. It was also put up in memory of Dimitri De Fauw and Frederiek Nolf.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Unbelievable!
    If the morons are found, the local courts will probably just give them a slap on the wrist.
    Then the local cyclists will give them a proper slap!

LOL - do you think there is no scum elsewhere?

I can take you to places in Spain where you wouldn't come out in one piece. I am sure Belgium is the same.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Does anybody know exactly where in Gent it is? Im there in a few weeks, hopefully its back to its best.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Does anybody know exactly where in Gent it is? Im there in a few weeks, hopefully its back to its best.

Hopefully they'll build something slightly more fitting than a small brick wall.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    durhamwasp wrote:
    It's in Zwijnaarde, south of Gent, along the river Schelde on the towpath. Weylandt use to train there. Not in walking distance of central Gent...
    It's not just a monument for Weylandt by the way, also for Frederiek Nolf who died during the Tour of Qatar in 2009 and Dimitri De Fauw who committed suicide in 2009.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Cheers, ive seen some pics on a Belgian news tv article and can roughly guess where it is, you know any closest streets?

We are staying in Oudenaarde and cycling to Gent, so i reckon we could go via here.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....