Irritating creak from stem.

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
70mm Pro stem - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44971 - running it flipped if that makes a difference.

Creaks intermittently - have stripped and greased both steerer and bar clamp bolts (tightened correctly) but that hasn't cured it.

Any ideas (other than buy a different stem)?

slainte :?: rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    brake levers. shifters. seat post, cranks.

it can be anything and may not be the stem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • phz
    Stem is the only cockpit element I have changed recently and the noise is deffo coming from 'upper' front end of bike.

Slainte :? Rob
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check it all.

you may be surprised.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hermes3000
    Hermes3000 Posts: 23
    I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the headset bearings.

You can also try carbon grease between the bar and stem.
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    You shouldn't grease the steerer. Also, a little grease on the contact points of spacers maybe?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Thought that I had a similar problem to yourself, sounded like it was coming from the stem/headset - ended up being the seat clamp. take it all off and see if the problem remains.
  • phz
    Red face time.

Further testing reveals noise to be coming from seat post/clamp.

Fixes?

slainte :oops: rob
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    I gave mine a good clean with hot soapy water, fired a bit of lube on the QR of the seat clamp and the problem was gone. Also remove your saddle as it can be the rails creaking with mud etc.