TF2 on chains

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I've started using TF2 on my chains. I really like how dry they are, you can handle them afterwards and you don't get covered in oil. The chain does seem to get noisy quite quickly though and I've heard of people re-lubing for every trip. I'm assuming noise = wear and therefore re-lubing is essential ? But I don't want to have to re-lube after every ride.
Anyone else use TF2 ?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's ok for cleaning your chain, i'm not sure it leaves much protection though - i would imagine you will be wearing chains out pretty quickly with it.

if you like the dry effect, why not try some of the dedicated 'dry' lubes - the finish-line ceramic stuff comes to mind - leaves a waxy lube between the plates.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't.

I like oil. I understand it. I know it works. I know how it works. It's never let me down.

What is TF2?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    better than nothing, Just.

cant beat a good chain lube. oil or Wax is a personal thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Twostage wrote:
    I've started using TF2 on my chains. I really like how dry they are, you can handle them afterwards and you don't get covered in oil. The chain does seem to get noisy quite quickly though and I've heard of people re-lubing for every trip. I'm assuming noise = wear and therefore re-lubing is essential ? But I don't want to have to re-lube after every ride.
    Anyone else use TF2 ?

My LBS (some quite experienced blokes too) told me that they just use TF2 for everything. I gave it a go a few summers ago but the chain got squeaky after about 30 miles which is a bit uselss. i do sometimes use it for cleaning chains prior to relubing. And I use it on my the chain of my wife's 8 speed hybrid if she is going somewhere mucky like towpaths etc.

I generally use Finish Line Cross Country (wet) and just wipe off excess, and never get covered in oil and the chain is perfectly silent.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    nicklouse wrote:
    better than nothing, Just.

cant beat a good chain lube. oil or Wax is a personal thing.

We are still talking bikes aren't we? :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You may as well use WD40 !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Emailed the people at Weldtite. They basically confirmed the sentiment on here that it is not a specific chain lube and recommended TF2 plus which I happened to have. I've used TF2 spray to get the crud out followed by TF2 plus for a couple of weeks and it is a lot better, no chain noise.