Saddle advice

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Need to get myself a new saddle for on my Felt F3. The one it came with is very uncomfortable. Now i know saddles are quite a personal thing and its probably going to come down to me trying a few of them but i wanted to try and avoid spending £££££ trying different ones to a extent!

On my mountain bikes i run Fizik saddles (gobi and a tundra) and am happy with the feel of them so was looking at the fizik range for on my road bikes.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    personally i find the fizik arione comfy, but some people hate it, as you say, it's a personal thing

look for a fizik dealer, they should have test saddles that you can try on loan
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No reason why you cant put an MTB saddle on the bike if you're comfy with it ?
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    cougie wrote:

I agree.

Assuming the difference in position on the road bike doesn't cause issues with rubbing etc then there is no reason not to give the saddles on your MTB a try.
    That wont cost you anything aside from a few minutes to swap them over.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    colsoop wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I agree.

Assuming the difference in position on the road bike doesn't cause issues with rubbing etc then there is no reason not to give the saddles on your MTB a try.
    That wont cost you anything aside from a few minutes to swap them over.

This is what I did, I have a Sella Italia c2 on my mtb and it was an improvement over the standard saddle that came with my road bike but, as the miles went up it just got a bit uncomfortable after 2 hours. I put this down to being seated more on the road bike.

I've just bought a Specialized Romin yesterday so I'll see how it goes. Try one of your current saddles, it's a good starting point. Good luck.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For me I tend to look for a saddle of the same relative shape and size as one that has already proved itself comfortable to me, instead of obcessing over brands. Over the years I have developed a liking for cutout saddles and saddles with a somewhat wider rear for my sit bones. Still nothing is perfect and you never know how they will work until you try them. If you can afford to sample bunches of saddles.
  • Need to get myself a new saddle for on my Felt F3. The one it came with is very uncomfortable. Now i know saddles are quite a personal thing and its probably going to come down to me trying a few of them but i wanted to try and avoid spending £££££ trying different ones to a extent!

On my mountain bikes i run Fizik saddles (gobi and a tundra) and am happy with the feel of them so was looking at the fizik range for on my road bikes.

I found a bike shop that lets you "try" the saddles before you buy. i.e. You effectively buy the saddle by giving them your credit card details. I thought one particular saddle was the mutts nuts and so "borrowed" it. It went back 2 weeks later! So I tried another and that now sits on my mtb. Brilliant idea.

Another idea for you to try (if possible) would be to sit on a mates bike who has a used (ie NOT new) Brooks saddle. Both my Touring bike and my Road bike have different Brooks on them. In fact, through Bike Radar I swapped a Spech Toupe that came with my road bike for one of the Brooks. Comfy as you like!
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html