cannot get X7 front mech to change to middle/outer ring?

anditsinthere
anditsinthere Posts: 210
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently changed from 8 speed to 9 speed and i cannot seem to get the alignment of the front mech correct, it stays in the smallest ring on the front and it doesnt change to middle or outer, and makes a ticking noise when in big cog (rear) is it a case of adjusting the H and L screws on the front mech? also changed the front mech recently (X4 to X7) so do they need adjusting?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what have you actually changed?

sounds like the mech has just not been set up at all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cassette, gone to X9 shifters and changed the front mech.....i don't think the front mech has been set up its just been fitted :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you need to adjust both by the sound of it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • the front mech does not look fitted properly either, it looks bent.....the chain is also rubbing on the metal part so lots of chain rub going on, i'm sure a local bike shop will help me out as i dont have the time to be sat adjusting gears.
  • cooldad
    Takes less time to index them (a few minutes) than get to a bike shop.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The front mech needs adjusting and fitting properly as well, its not straight so it needs fitting correctly then both indexing them, the cable has also come out on the allen bolt adjuster which has made things worse, im no expert on these things, a few minutes to you is an hour to me as i dont know what i am doing :o
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When you bought the front mech, it should have come with some rather comprehensive instructions (well, shimano does anwyay). Did you follow these?
  • no because i got a mate to fit them who i thought was pretty clued up on things! but obviously not!
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like your mate is a complete clumpet.
    Get the instructions off him, and sort it yourself. Not only will it be cheap, and relatively quick, but you'll actually learn something valuable at the same time.

It's rather worrying me how many MTBers I've met recently that have no idea how to sort their indexing - it really is a very simple task, but has this whole "black magic" myth surrounding it.
  • i know.....would going from 24 to 27 gears have anything to do with the problem??

he said he had to lift the front mech higher on the frame to compensate the larger cog on the back?

go no instructions as he binned them......i got this book i guess i could have a look at this??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mounta ... 193138259X
  • Anonymous
    He's talking rubbish.

THIS...
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techd ... 729252.PDF

Is for a shimano Deore front mech, but the principle is precisely the same.
    The bits you need start at the bottom of the middle column.
  • Its an Sram X7 would it be the same to fit??? could always put my X4 back on?
  • Anonymous
    Yes, front derailers are exactly the same setup. In fact, the cable pull on them is the same even, meaning you can use a (9-speed) Shimano front mech with a (9-speed) SRAM shifter, and vice versa.

I think Shimano's cable pull has altered slightly for the 10-speed, though I'm not sure if this affects the front mech as well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i know.....would going from 24 to 27 gears have anything to do with the problem??

he said he had to lift the front mech higher on the frame to compensate the larger cog on the back?

go no instructions as he binned them......i got this book i guess i could have a look at this??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mounta ... 193138259X

all available on Srams webby.

if the front mech and cranks have not been changed then all he needed to do was attach the cable and add tension. ( you say it was change but then you say it was lifted? not clear).

sounds like he has right royally F***ed it up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Does it make a difference if the new front mech is a dual pull?? my old X4 was a top pull and worked fine,

Nick i think you are right......it's in a mess, clucking and chain coming off the rings!
  • Anonymous
    Does it make a difference if the new front mech is a dual pull??
    NO.
  • ill have a tinker with it tomorrow, the mech is also lower than the larger ring so also need to loosen that and adjust it so its over the top of it.
  • cooldad
    If he fitted the mech lower than the chainring, clumpet is too good for him.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lol at Cooldad! i'll sort it, i got Halfords only 10 mins away if i lose patience!
  • lol at Cooldad! i'll sort it, i got Halfords only 10 mins away if i lose patience!

Hahahahahahahaa.

go to the SRAM website, go to products and dowload the instructions for install and set up. the whole thing will take about an hour including going for a dump and having a cup of tea.

as an old instructor used to say, when all else fails RTFM
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's rather worrying me how many MTBers I've met recently that have no idea how to sort their indexing - it really is a very simple task, but has this whole "black magic" myth surrounding it.

Aye. What you do is, you bolt it on randomly and see if it works. And when that doesn't work, you move it randomly, and try again. And when that doesn't work, you do it again. Every so often take it off entirely in frustration and start over. Eventually, by pure luck, it'll be close enough that you can just say "F*** it"

Well that's how I do it anyway, I'm an infinite grease monkey.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:

Aye. What you do is, you bolt it on randomly and see if it works. And when that doesn't work, you move it randomly, and try again. And when that doesn't work, you do it again. Every so often take it off entirely in frustration and start over. Eventually, by pure luck, it'll be close enough that you can just say "F*** it"

Well that's how I do it anyway, I'm an infinite grease monkey.

LOL excellent, ive had a couple of those moments my self :lol:

for the OP , have a good read at this, http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... djustments
    write it down and take it with you to the bike, fettle till you learn how to sort it
  • if you're still having problems then give me a shout as i'm ten mins away from halfords (outskirts of Audenshaw) myself and could set it up for you and show you how to sort it yourself. Its P1$$ easy when you know how.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)