Bike Shoes

alexander flint
alexander flint Posts: 20
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy cycling shoes that take both road spd cleats and mtb cleats. or is it better to just buy two different shoes. my son is only ten so was hoping not to spend a sack load of cash for a change.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Yes, I've seen them, but I can't remember where.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Herbsman wrote:
    Yes, I've seen them, but I can't remember where.

Ha ha And you win todays most helpful post award.

What exactly do you mean mtb cleats, do yu mean like eggbeater ones?, i thought spd's were suited to mtb-ing.

These are road shoes that take spd's.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Would be cheaper to buy the same MTB pedals for both bikes.Lots of riders use the Shimano m520 pedals on both,Buy a shoe like the DHB from wiggle (£50 ish) that has the studded base so the cleats are recessed ,much easier to walk in when on MTB or just a cafe stop.Merlin do the pedals for £18 a pair including cleats if you sign up for their email membership.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Yes Shimano make shoes that take both types of cleats.

If you look at the bottom of the shoes you will see double holes for spd cleats and triangular triple holes for spd-sl's.

This is one of many they make http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55382
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Would be cheaper to buy the same MTB pedals for both bikes.

+1. I have both SPD and SPD-SL and there's very little difference in use. SPDs are far more practical though. If you want flasher pedals for the road bike get Shimano A520 SPDs, they're single sided so look flasher and weigh less.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!