Online protection

TraceyU
TraceyU Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, first post here, If i was to buy a bike online and use it for a week and decided it was not for me, how am i protected, i dont mean biking is not for me but just the bike i purchased on line.

Thank you

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Some online shops offer a try before you buy, but not many.

Wiggle is one that springs to mind

With most of them, you buy it, & it's yours. Although some may help you out if you make the wrong choice

Best bet is go to your local bike shop (LBS) and try some bikes out, much less hassle that way
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Andy B wrote:
    Wiggle is one that springs to mind
    But the bike must be unused.

who every you go for read the T&Cs and all the small print.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TraceyU
    TraceyU Posts: 3
    What about long distance sales regulations?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    TraceyU wrote:
    I believe that will only cover you if the product is unfit for purpose, as far as I know it will not cover you for a bad choice on your part
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Their terms and conditions are irrelevant, you have a statutory right (which overrules any terms and conditions of sale) to cancel from any UK trader if bought remotely, under the "long distance sales regulations" otherwise know as Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 ;) , but you will not be able to do much more than sit on it and see if it fits and possibly ride it round the garden.

You can't take it out for a spin and then cancel, unless its faulty. there is no requirement to return it in the original unopened pack as some seem to think. You are also allowed to assemble it.

Obviously worth buying from someone who knows this rather than arguing the t@ss with someone who is clueless as to your rights or buying from a "UK based shop" who trades from somewhere else.

Personally I would buy used or new from an LBS, its all about the advice they can offer, not just the ability to sit on it.

The great thing about the DSRs is very few shops properly comply, so your right to cancel is often 3 months.

I personally think they are over the top and push prices up for all who don't abuse them, but they are there so you can use them.
    Andy B wrote:
    TraceyU wrote:
    I believe that will only cover you if the product is unfit for purpose, as far as I know it will not cover you for a bad choice on your part

Absolutely wrong - you have an unconditional right to cancel. Your only obligation is to tell them and look after the goods while in your possession.

if you are a trader read this