Just a quickie, re grease.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited July 2011 in Workshop
I took my new build out for it's first spin, today.
Everything was groovy, but a bit squeaky.

It turns out I didn't lube my chain after I attached, whoops.

Hopefully it's just that, but obviously now I'm paranoid I didn't grease the crank set properly.

So what is the crank/forks grease of choice for Bikeradar?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    A new chain will be lubed already. Also, I've NEVER heard of a chain squeaking. Running roughly/noisily, sure, but SQUEAKING? Ask Secteur, if anyone has experience with this it'll be him.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Fair enough.
    It wasn't a new chain, that's on my main bike, this was the chain from that, which I'd cleaned up, and reunited with cranks and cogs that I'd kept from upgrading my main bike.

Squeaking does best describe the noise, as it certainly wasn't metal on metal grinding, or anything to be scared of.

I guess my initial question still stands, what is the crank grease of choice?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Crank grease? Do you mean for the bearings in the bottom bracket?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My chain squeaks a bit if I let it get too dry.

What kind of bottom bracket do you have? Most modern ones employ sealed bearings that cannot be re-greased; they are assembled with grease at the factory which is expected to last for the life of the unit.

I like to use a bit of grease on the axle/crank interface, but just a thin smear.

Also, what do you mean by fork grease? Is this a suspension fork or are you talking about the headset bearings?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Yeah, sorry just being lazy.
    Any old grease will do... just use whatever your local bike shop sells. Or get sealed cartridge bearings.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Herbsman wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Yeah, sorry just being lazy.
    Any old grease will do... just use whatever your local bike shop sells. Or get sealed cartridge bearings.

Or save a few bob and pop down to your local motor factors for a big pot of bearing grease, which will last for the rest of your lifetime for the princely sum of ~£5.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}