clasica san sebastian

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited August 2011 in Pro race
you can see it here
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Many thanks!

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    what a yr that guy is having
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Awesome, sees that the breakaway isn't going to pull in Barredo so just clips off and solos to victory.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    He won a floppy hat!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow, very little interest....

I thought this was tomorrow so pretty annoyed I missed it. Really great race. Sastre, Vino and LLS last year was brilliant.

Gilbert's form is scary. Especially holding it for so long.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrJim007
    MrJim007 Posts: 64
    Yeah, ditto regarding the interest!
    I found a live stream of it and caught the last 60km, was great racing, lots of attacks up the last big climb with a strong group forming for the last 15km or so featuring Gilbert, S.Sanchez, Barredo, J.Rodriguez, Devolder, Uran, F.Schlek, van Avaermart, Zubeldia, Vanendert, Devynyns.
    Barredo attacking near the finish then chased down by Fast Phil who took it through to the line and won comfortably!!
    Especially pleasing for me as i had 4 of the top ten in my fantasy team!! :D
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Millar is bigging him up quite a bit just now on Twitter and his sister is hinting at him to shut up. Is there any chance he could sign for Garmin?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    This is a really good race, great location, but I wish it was a weekend or two further back and not so soon after the Tour.

Gilbert is turning into the cycling equivalent of Roy of the Rovers. :lol:
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    http://youtu.be/jMtmVIRHi6E
    Video here. Final 9km.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    He must have the makings of a really good TTer. As if he needed it.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    I hope Gilbert becomes the World Champ. No rider deserves it more and none will show off the jersey better.

ss11-win.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I hope Gilbert becomes the World Champ. No rider deserves it more and none will show off the jersey better.
    He'll be hard to beat in 2012 in Valkenburg on the Cauberg
  • frenchfighter
    edited August 2011
    The guy is simply the best.

phoca_thumb_l_flche20brab8.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    dulldave wrote:
    Millar is bigging him up quite a bit just now on Twitter and his sister is hinting at him to shut up. Is there any chance he could sign for Garmin?

For those that havent seen it:

tumblr_lp72l0NJZw1qacyk6o1_500.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    he's an absolute beast. any more word on him going to BMC?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am surprised he hasn't ben caught yet.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    I am surprised he hasn't ben caught yet.

Does feel unreal. If he is doped, he has to be the stupidest doper ever....not like he is keeping a low profile!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Wow just seen this result... what a rider... definitely athlete of the year without a doubt..
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Just looking at his palmares for 2011 on Wikipedia made me laugh, hes just demolishing everyone. Who has had a more dominating single season in the past?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Sean Kelly in '84 takes some beating:

Just looked it up on Wikipedia:
    He won Paris–Nice for the third successive time beating Roche as well as the Tour de France winner, Bernard Hinault [13] who was returning after a knee injury. Kelly finished second in Milan – San Remo and the Ronde van Vlaanderen, but was unbeatable in Paris–Roubaix and Liège–Bastogne–Liège. The day after Paris–Roubaix, the French daily sports paper, L'Équipe, pictured Kelly cycling the cobbles with mud on his face and had the heading Insatiable Kelly! referring to his appetite for winning that spring [14] He won all three stages in the Critérium International: the bunch sprint on stage 1, a solo victory in the mountain stage and beating Roche in the final time trial. Kelly achieved 33 victories in 1984. He was becoming a contender in the grands tours, as seen by finishing fifth in the Tour de France. This may have caused him to lose his grip on the maillot vert in that year's Tour. Kelly was wearing it as the Tour was finishing on the Champs-Élysées but lost it in the bunch finish

He also won Volta a Catalunya and
    Vuelta al País Vasco to go with the Criterium International
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Just looking at his palmares for 2011 on Wikipedia made me laugh, hes just demolishing everyone. Who has had a more dominating single season in the past?

kelly gilbert and jalabert have all had amazing years... gilberts season isn't over yet thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm