SLX 2x10 and 3x10 Q factor

jimilindley
jimilindley Posts: 59
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Peops,

Does the SLX 2x10 chainset have a better Q factor than the 3x10? Or is the 2x10 the same but without the biggest chainring?

Its just I really notice the wider Q factor on MTBs after riding a 2x10 105 road bike all week.

Basically looking for ways of possibly reducing the Q factor on my MTB, dont really use the biggest chainring on my MTB much

Cheers

Jim

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mountain bikers aren;t bothered in the least about Q-factor, so basically, what you have is what you'll have.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is no 2 ring SLX 10 speed crankset.

the only maker to list MTB Q numbers is Sram with the new 2 X 10 cranks.

the Q factor has really been disregarded in MTB as you are not seated for as long as you are on a Road bike so it has much less effect.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    And also, mountain bikers in general prefer to talk complete bollorks about their bikes and various things, rather than talk about scientific-sounding things like Q-factor :lol:
  • Thanks for the responses, almost for got I'd posted it.

Its a shame, cos I do notice how its less efficient with a bigger Q, even when out the saddle and peddling, feel like my legs are putting too much energy into going out to the side rather than round and round!
  • Anonymous
    You must be a very slim buld. My feet naturally want to rest quite far apart. I have destroyed a leg, and have some odd "issues" becaus eof it, but still, natural stance is pretty wide.