How beautiful is your commute?

bg13
bg13 Posts: 4,598
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
G'day,

I have just spent a month working in Sicily and have had the pleasure of a 13 mile commute from Marsala to Trapani.

Taking the coastal road, the views are stunning and combined with reasonable road surfaces and considerate drivers (Who would have thought that the crazy Italian drivers could be called that?) And the great sunny weather.

It has been the best most pleasurable and stress free commuting that i have done.

Unfortunately i am back in the UK next week, humph!!!!!

Anyone else get to enjoy a commute as good?
Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
Ribble Audax
On One Scandal 29er

Comments

• MattL30
    MattL30 Posts: 28
    I won't pretend its as nice, but coming down from Gwaelod hill, onto the Taff Trail, along the river and into Cardiff, all on pedestrian free routes (except the odd 100m) is pretty good to be fair.
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    My commute takes me through a cycle path through Holyrood Park in Edinburgh and it's stunning first thing in the morning, nice and green and plenty of wildlife to be seen as well.

David
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Over the Severn Bridge and up onto the ridge overlooking the estuary.

Beautiful on cold mornings with a layer of mist on the water; beautiful at the moment too.

Sunset_Severn_Bridge_Avon.jpg

Not my picture obviously...

Oh and the best thing. I save £5-70 a day on the toll which goes towards my bike fund. And the other best thing is passing hordes of cars queuing at the tolls on Friday evenings in Summer.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    My commute is quite nice; riding through rural North Yorkshire. I'll video my commute one of these days so you can see... I'll leave the 'smell-o-vision' off though, just in case I ride past the cow shed at 'toilet time'. :|
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    i started commuting along the thames path this year, it is a fantastic start to the day. The cows in the wetlands centre on a frosty morning, the rowing clubs using the river before and after work (some contenders for the lycra thread), the very pretty hammersmith bridge, no motorised traffic and the way the path is unsurfaced. Brilliant.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Lewisham, New Cross, Elephant and Castle, Harlesden, Willesden Junction, Park Royal.

Do I win?
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    Absolutely lovely--I set off eary in the morning from Didsbury (south Manchester), I have about 10 km of sharing roads with others (mark [1]). From Poynton towards Potts Shringley, then Old Brickworks and Disley I see about 15 cars. It is downhill (in all senses of the word) from there [2] until I hit work just north of Stockport.

Still, it is a fantastic route and the views are great.

web.jpg
    web.png
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    bg13 wrote:
    G'day,

I have just spent a month working in Sicily and have had the pleasure of a 13 mile commute from Marsala to Trapani.

Taking the coastal road, the views are stunning and combined with reasonable road surfaces and considerate drivers (Who would have thought that the crazy Italian drivers could be called that?) And the great sunny weather.

It has been the best most pleasurable and stress free commuting that i have done.

Unfortunately i am back in the UK next week, humph!!!!!

Anyone else get to enjoy a commute as good?

I hate you with a deep and unfathomable loathing - my commute involves potholed urban roads, murderous bus drivers and a view of the gas works, plus the last 800 yards is beset by roadworks due to go on for another 12 months.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

I hate you with a deep and unfathomable loathing - my commute involves potholed urban roads, murderous bus drivers and a view of the gas works, plus the last 800 yards is beset by roadworks due to go on for another 12 months.

He's actually quite cuddly when you get to know him.

(just don't mention the commute)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    This road is on my commute , hardly any cars and very nice sunrises :)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bretby& ... 38.88,,0,0
    FCN 3/5/9
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nothing special going in as it is only 3 miles round an airport.
    I do take a longer route home though. Through rural countryside past several golf courses and regularly see deer.
    If only the weather matched the surroundings.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Mine was until recently all on National cycle route 51 towards harwich. All single laned farm access roads followed by the sunrise over the Thames Estuary.10 miles, perfect.

Now new job means 5 miles of country lanes followed by riding into a large town which has some of those lights on sticks and boxes with wheels for me to contend with.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    There was nothing beautiful about the argument I had with a Greyhound bus driver on the King's Road this morning. His repeatedly idiotic / thoughtless / dangerous driving quite put a dampener on my commute. He also came very close to hitting a ped on a zebra crossing just after Sloane Sq :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mr_si wrote:
    Over the Severn Bridge and up onto the ridge overlooking the estuary.

Beautiful on cold mornings with a layer of mist on the water; beautiful at the moment too.

Sunset_Severn_Bridge_Avon.jpg

Not my picture obviously...

Oh and the best thing. I save £5-70 a day on the toll which goes towards my bike fund. And the other best thing is passing hordes of cars queuing at the tolls on Friday evenings in Summer.

That is a fantastic view - I miss that route, damn job change!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Yep, sunset over the Severn takes some beating, but occasionally, Chelsea Bridge looks very pretty with its illuminations and the sun setting behind. Only see it like that for a couple of weeks a year, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Gussio - you are missing the point of the thread - it is about beautiful commutes. And this evening , if you are riding down the Kings Road you wil be treated to many beautiful legs I am sure. I used to like that section in the summer. Nearly rode into a few things whilst distracted by pretty ladies!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    HamishD wrote:
    Lewisham, New Cross, Elephant and Castle, Harlesden, Willesden Junction, Park Royal.

Do I win?

Is that some kind of inverse beauty tour. I'm not sure you could do any worse
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

He's actually quite cuddly when you get to know him.

(just don't mention the commute)

And kind to children and small animals :)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    London Commuting

IMAG0044.jpg
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Gussio - you are missing the point of the thread - it is about beautiful commutes. And this evening , if you are riding down the Kings Road you wil be treated to many beautiful legs I am sure. I used to like that section in the summer. Nearly rode into a few things whilst distracted by pretty ladies!

:lol: *attaches blinkers*
  • Can't beat Sicily but this is one of my favourite parts of my commute into Bath. It's the descent from the top of Bowden Hill into the National Trust village of Lacock. It's a 40 mph plus descent (in the dry) (or sideways on the winter ice) and swoops past Lacock Abbey where some of the Harry Potter films were shot, and the village proper which has been used as a set for everything from The Cranford Chronicles to Persuasion.

It makes for a good test going up it the other way too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3VX1XSgK0
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Mine is dull - Urban sprawl A1000 all the way from High barnet to Archway!!

Although i suppose i am lucky that five minutes north (opposite of commute) is miles and miles of countryside!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    davmaggs wrote:
    HamishD wrote:

Do I win?

Is that some kind of inverse beauty tour. I'm not sure you could do any worse

I have to ride past Old Trafford football ground every morning and evening. Beat that for grim.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    I moved house a couple of weeks back and now 90% of my commute is now along the Erewash Valley Trail on the Notts/Derbyshire border. Most of it is along a disused canal and the only traffic issues I have dealt with so far are rabbits and young moorhens crossing the path. It definitely works for me :)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mine's not bad. River Thames through Thames Ditton and Surbiton. Richmond Park. Putney Bridge.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm incredibly lucky with my commute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Qs5gMz8cM

often makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    [img][/img]5674741521_0929f0ffd2_z.jpg
    IMAG0195 by Red Ritchie, on Flickr

Forth Road bridge one way and another

[img][/img]5881801563_23ff1f0917_z.jpg
    IMAG0408 by Red Ritchie, on Flickr
  • Hello all, loving all the pictures, once i suss out how to upload piccies i will pop some of the Sicily ride on, am now back in the UK so all i have to look forward to is the trek across Lincoln.
    Not great but the odd morning i get a nice still morning with the sun coming up which looks great!!
    Loafmaster extraordinaire!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    nottscobb wrote:
    I moved house a couple of weeks back and now 90% of my commute is now along the Erewash Valley Trail on the Notts/Derbyshire border. Most of it is along a disused canal and the only traffic issues I have dealt with so far are rabbits and young moorhens crossing the path. It definitely works for me :)

I quite often do a stretch of a mile and a bit from Wilford Bridge down to Trent Bridge, which can be nice given the weather. I also do a bit of leisure riding on the stretch from Lenton Lane through to Long Eaton sometimes. A great place to cycle.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Mouth wrote:
    nottscobb wrote:

I quite often do a stretch of a mile and a bit from Wilford Bridge down to Trent Bridge, which can be nice given the weather. I also do a bit of leisure riding on the stretch from Lenton Lane through to Long Eaton sometimes. A great place to cycle.

Oddly enough - me and a mate have been cycling down there recently as an extended route home :D

Next time the weathers good (and my Tricross is back on the road) we're going to stop off at the Trent Lock pub:

TrentNavigationInnTrentNav-Erewash.jpg

It increases my commute home from 12 to 18 miles but honestly, it's just great to cycle it 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter