unbelievable !!!!!

smithaay
smithaay Posts: 114
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
i was just coming back from the shops on my road bike and i was in my lane there were no cars behind me so i thought there was not much reason for hugging the curb so i was about 1-2 metres from the curb still plenty room in my lane for a car (quite wide roads round my area) when this car coming from the opposite direction swings into my lane to avoid a parked car in his lane comes close to hitting me bout 30 - 50 cm in it then astonishingly the driver just stares at me like bikes dont belong on the road so im gunna imagine ur not there sort a thing unbelivable !!!

its just simple knowledge that u dont swing into oncoming traffic:roll:

some people.... :x

rant over.
Eat.Ride.Sleep.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cool story bro
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    I believe it mate I met several several numpties today. They seem to have solar powered cars, the sunnier it is the faster they go.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    cyclists simply dont exist as far as many drivers are concerned.

If you were on foot, or on a motorbike, you'd be fine.

On a push-bike, forget it!

You're only -and I mean ONLY -friends on the road are other cyclists, and some of them are knobs too (going thru lights on red etc etc)
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    smithaay wrote:
    i was just coming back from the shops on my road bike and i was in my lane there were no cars behind me so i thought there was not much reason for hugging the curb so i was about 1-2 metres from the curb still plenty room in my lane for a car (quite wide roads round my area) when this car coming from the opposite direction swings into my lane to avoid a parked car in his lane comes close to hitting me bout 30 - 50 cm in it then astonishingly the driver just stares at me like bikes dont belong on the road so im gunna imagine ur not there sort a thing unbelivable !!!

rant over.

Seriously man, on the one hand you say that you are 1-2 metres from the curb. We will assume 2 metres - which is basically half over a single road.

You then say that the roads are "quite wide"

You are basically in the middle of your side of the road and someone from the opposite direction has to pull out to get around a parked car!!

Wow - hold the press!!

You do know that the larger vehicle on the road has the right of way no?

You were basically cycling in the middle of the road. Was it such a chore to move within a metre or under or the curb?

Booo hooo woooo - grow some cahones eh?....
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    He is one of theose "lucky" drivers. Always trust to luck on a blind corner. I know lots of drivers who are still alive thanks to luck. I dont know of any lucky drivers who are dead although there may be a few unlucky ones.
  • 7041Riveting_tale_chap.jpg

I still don't know what he bought at the shops?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Thebigbee wrote:
    smithaay wrote:

rant over.

Seriously man, on the one hand you say that you are 1-2 metres from the curb. We will assume 2 metres - which is basically half over a single road.

You are basically in the middle of your side of the road and someone from the opposite direction has to pull out to get around a parked car!!

Wow - hold the press!!

You were basically cycling in the middle of the road. Was it such a chore to move within a metre or under or the curb?

What utter rubbish. He has every right to ride 2 metres fronm the kerb on HIS side of the road. If a car coming the other way wishes to pass an obstruction by pulling wide across to the other side of the road, the driver must wait til it's clear to do so, not muscle through risking everyone else's safety... Some drivers are just idiots
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    can you say that again in English please?
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    smithaay wrote:
    comes close to hitting me bout 30 - 50 cm in it
    I wouldnt call 30-50 cm that close , 3-5 cm is what i,d call close.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Thebigbee wrote:
    smithaay wrote:

rant over.

Wow - hold the press!!

Welcome back Procyclist,it's been a while
  • MrSpeedy
    MrSpeedy Posts: 11
    That's nothing, I saw a magic tractor on my ride this morning...

..it turned into a field!

Unbelievable!! 8)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Thebigbee wrote:

Not quite. A motorist must make an allowance for the most vulnerable road user, in this case the cyclist.

+1
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    That happened to me once, apart from the driver pulled into me.

True story!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Thebigbee wrote:

WTF? Are you serious?
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    If i got all shook up every time a car passed me on a ride leaving just 30-50cm gap I think I'd have to give up!

Drivers are idiots. The sooner you get used to it the sooner you'll find your rides more enjoyable.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    So if a large vehicle is going down hill, and a smaller vehicle is going up hill, who has the right of way to get round an obstruction?
    Peter
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    DF33 wrote:
    So if a large vehicle is going down hill, and a smaller vehicle is going up hill, who has the right of way to get round an obstruction?
    Not sure why hills are relevant, the vehicle with the obstruction on their side of the road should give way.
  • Some drivers seem to think cyclists are just a pest to stop them going fast or getting home on time. They forget that we are the same as that person at a zebra crossing, or the kid playing in the street- we are soft and will come off worst if hit, while they are protected in their nice big car.

having said that, since I started cycling more I have seen numpties on both sides- cyclist riding in tandem, with no helmets, using mobiles, no hands on the bars, jumping red lights.. and combinations of the above. I've also see many idiot drivers (there are more proportionlly as there are more drivers)- on phones, texting, doing their hair or make up with BOTH hands, chasing each other through traffic.. All of these need to be educated and cracked down on. For texting or any dangerous driving habits, the current fine is nowhere large enough, it just seems to be a money-generating exercise. If you want to stop it, why not £100 or £1000? And enforcing the rules might help too, I see it more and more these days from brainless idiots.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    the driver was clearly in the wrong taking risks with others peoples lives but I would ask why you didnt pull over some to give him some room or was there plenty of room for both of you but he chose to swing out close to you? If you were just being stubborn and not moving so he would have to wait then you're an idiot and youre not doing any of us any favours.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I assume that guy was joking when he said the larger vehicle has right of way. I think that's the way it works in India but certainly not in the UK. You have right of way on your side of the road.

If you ride on the rode you're going to need to deal with people driving like pr1cks. If I posted here every time something like that happened to me then I'd get banned for boring everyone.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I have seen numpties on both sides- cyclist riding in tandem, with no helmets

How in Gods name does that quaify them as numpties?
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    absolutely right batch78. Lids aren't obligatory, and riding side by side (what I assume he meant by tandem?) is allowable in most circumstances under the highway code.