Not your average Boardman bike..

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
My father-in-law (who has retired to France) has asked me to get him a bike for around 500 euros (£450) and bring it over later in August. I spotted this Boardman MTB which is around this price once the 'tour 20' 20% discount is applied. Plus, it can delivered free to France.

The bike in question cannot be bought in UK but a Boardman for £470 must be good value, mustn't it?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-mtb-race-2011/

Thoughts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ?Discontinued - no longer available?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    cooldad wrote:
    ?Discontinued - no longer available?

When on the page of the link, you have to change the shipping destination to outside the UK and then the details will show.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sneaky
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well thats annoying!

So for people to buy Boardman in the UK, we have to go through a chain with little/no bike knowledge or aftersales capability.

However outside the UK, anyone can sell them? I never knew that!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The Northern Monkey

look on the Boardman webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ahhh wiggle only?

Obviously wiggles fault!
  • swelsbyuk
    Ah, apologies it would have made more sense to send you to the Boardman webpage. Here it is: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_race.html

So, is that a decent spec for around £470?

I don't mean to rush you but the 'tour 20' 20% discount runs out today so I need to make a decision pretty sharpish!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Not really, you'd get much more for your money from Decathlon (of which they have plenty in France), even after discount.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • swelsbyuk
    Funny you should mention Decathlon, it's a conversation we've already had. With it being a French company (I believe) you would probably expect them to be cheaper than UK. Not the case.

Currently, the Rockrider 8.1 is £499 in UK. In France it retails at 699 euros, which is about £615!!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Still a good deal! I'd rather have that than the Boardman by a country mile!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5