How to become a Pro Cyclist

Lobbydosser
Lobbydosser Posts: 81
edited August 2011 in Pro race
As the subject suggests I'm looking for some advice on how to become a Professional cyclist.

I'm thinking of getting my first bike in some years after a holiday abroad. On holiday I hired a pedalo for an hour and found it very enjoyable and actually quite easy. I've obviously got some ability as there was no one else in the sea that could keep up with me and I was hardly out of breath when I got back to the beach.

I appreciate there must be some differences between the pedalo and a bike but the principle must be the same so before I drop some cash on a bike I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in anticipation.

G

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    :D Thank you, that's made my day! :lol:

On a serious note, buy a mid priced bike, join a local amateur club, ride a few events and re-evaluate your ability and desire at that point. You can always challenge them to a rematch in a pedalo if they thrash you :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    For real?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    As the subject suggests I'm looking for some advice on how to become a Professional cyclist.
    I'm thinking of getting my first bike in some years after a holiday abroad. On holiday I hired a pedalo for an hour and found it very enjoyable and actually quite easy. I've obviously got some ability as there was no one else in the sea that could keep up with me and I was hardly out of breath when I got back to the beach.
    I appreciate there must be some differences between the pedalo and a bike but the principle must be the same so before I drop some cash on a bike I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks in anticipation.

G

The main difference is that your pedalo doesn't have loads of gears like a bike. Consequently, they are much harder to climb a hill with.
    If you can pedal your pedalo up Alpe d'Huez, please let me know, as I'd like to get some early money down on you, to win next year's Tour. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Probably too late to become a pro bike racer - but I think a career as a pro pedaloist is there for the taking.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    another one in a world of their own??
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    The best place to start would be your local bike store (NOT Halfords!!) and talk to the guys in their about your interest. They'll be able to advise you on the best bike for you according to what you want out of it and what you'll be able to get for your money.

You picked the right time of year anyway- a lot of the 2012 ranges of bikes will be coming in which means last years out of season stuff will be reduced in price
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Obviously with your tallent, you should be building your own bike to start with. :D
    As an aside, myself & an equally evil clubmate, did enter another of our clubmates for the Milk Race, many, many years ago. He was most surprised to get his "entry" and a nice letter back from Phil Liggett. :lol:
    He wasn't quite so keen to tell us how good he was after that!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    A pedalo is a great place to start, I know Lance and AC both came into the sport this way.

Just keep at it, after all that little spanish race goes to Benidorm so I think your onto a winner. Just remember to take all thats offered to you by the team "doctor" and you should be right up there (just don't join a state sponsored team though, they are way more trouble then their worth)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You may find competing on a bicycle more difficult than a pedalo as they do not have the same natural buoyancy. The regulations regarding the hydrodynamics of pedalos are also much more permissive than those governing the aerodynamics of bicycles. You may wish to reconsider your chosen route to sporting immortality as the bicycle will not be as important a factor in your performance.

HTH.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Surely this is a wind up? It is isn't it? Someone tell me it is....Please......
  • desweller
    Surely this is a wind up? It is isn't it? Someone tell me it is....Please......

:roll: What do you think?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I also like to train using a pedalo but there are not many hills for me to ride here in the Netherlands. However, the crosswinds can be brutal and sometimes push me over into the vegetation on the riverbank, so we usually form echelons.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • treusi57
    treusi57 Posts: 11
    If crosswinds are a problem,try a different tack. :lol:
    Over the hill & pickin' up speed.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I managed 100rpm on my static exercise bike today. Anyone got Dave Brailsford's number?

Seriously, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought "oh great, a 13 year old kid has a genuine interest in our hobby (ok so it's a sport for some but not me), I hope we can help him because we're all nice like that here" but when I read on I just wanted to cry.

As for the pedalo, was anyone else trying to keep up with you, because the last time I went to the beach, the pedalo people weren't exactly holding any competitions, except for who could get 10 euros from their pocket first. Also, consider that all the other 'riders' may well have had a little drink or two, and that their 5 year old daughter might have been helping.

Twat.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • desweller
    treusi57 wrote:

Good advice. I like the cut of your jib.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    And remember...a few pounds off you is better than a few pounds off your pedalo and is a cheaper upgrade!

Good luck 8)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Think this maybe be a better start for you rather then the cycling

http://www.iprf.co.uk/
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    pottssteve wrote:
    I also like to train using a pedalo but there are not many hills for me to ride here in the Netherlands. However, the crosswinds can be brutal and sometimes push me over into the vegetation on the riverbank, so we usually form echelons.

We have the same problem here in Denmark.

Luckily there are quite a few rivermouth currents to train on, though you have to go up to Norway or Sweden for a proper HC current.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Haha Love it!
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    DesWeller wrote:
    treusi57 wrote:

Good advice. I like the cut of your jib.

You could get a 2011 bike for a really good price in the sail. And when you join a pro team - you should make sure you go straight in as a team captain and not as a domestique.
  • desweller
    To be honest, you're better off taking whatever you've got and doing some training in the European hills; that's where the pros sink or swim.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Sorry chaps, I was having a wee carry on with you, however I did use a pedalo on holiday and can vouch for the training benefit!!

G
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    I quite like the idea of a tour de Park pond with pedalos. I may go for the king of the mountains jersey.
    Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • desweller
    andysol wrote:
    I quite like the idea of a tour de Park pond with pedalos. I may go for the king of the mountains jersey.
    Andy

You'll never get that ratified by the UCI.

They don't allow recumbents.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    DesWeller wrote:
    andysol wrote:
    Andy

You'll never get that ratified by the UCI.

They don't allow recumbents.

But it doesn't have to be a recumbent...

http://www.funwatercraft.com/
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    It'd make the TdF Prologue very interesting - Dover to Calais.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Agree about building your own bike - for tips, watch The Flying Scotsman - if you still have the pedalo you can use some of the parts.