Traffic Lights - Dont worry, not the usual!

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
its more of a driving thought really but i thought of it whilst cycling!

I've noticed quite a lot on my route to work that after a stretch where there are a lot of traffic lights there are a few sets of speed cameras straight afterwards. I also noticed that the lights often seem to be on a timer so that they let you through one set just to stop you at the next set. So when you get to the other side probably put the foot down to make up time and then get caught for speeding!

the cynic in me thinks that maybe they set the lights like that on purpose to encourage people to speed and then catch them the other side!

what do you think?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    In some cities traffic lights are synchronised:

Wiki

And I have read of the flip-side to your observation having been tried, using speed sensors in the road and setting the lights onto red if approached too fast. (I can't recall where I read this).
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    jimmypippa wrote:
    In some cities traffic lights are synchronised:

Wiki

And I have read of the flip-side to your observation having been tried, using speed sensors in the road and setting the lights onto red if approached too fast. (I can't recall where I read this).

I read that the 'speed up to and they change' lights were on trial in Swindon. Which is a shame because it stops all the people who just wan to leave. Ever been there> You'd be tempted to jump the lights as well.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Velocidade Controlada:
    Where we lived in Portugal the lights go red if you speed, set up quite well so they actually stop most speeders. Then you get peer group pressure staring when you've set them off and everybody has to stop.
    Was always a game to set them off numa minha bicicleta.

Tudo bem
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mouth wrote:
    I read that the 'speed up to and they change' lights were on trial in Swindon. Which is a shame because it stops all the people who just wan to leave. Ever been there> You'd be tempted to jump the lights as well.

That'll be counter productive as there will just be an increase in the number of suicides of people taking too long to get out of Swindon.
    Faster than a tent.......