Wobbly tyre

ADL
ADL Posts: 138
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.
I've got NoTubes Crest + Nobby Nic Evo TR 2011 combo. A few months ago, when I just got the tyres, the fit was very tight, so I had to use a flat plastic tyre lever to mount the tyres. Recently I found that I don't really need the lever any more, as I can easily mount the tyres with hands.

But another problem has appeared: the tyres do wobble, and quite a lot. I'm pretty much sure it wasn't the case before (maybe there was just a slight wobble). The rims are true, the yellow tape sits properly.

I've examined the place where one of the tyres wobbles, and it looks like the sidewall is overstretched there (maybe it happened when I was using the lever to mount the tyre):

imag0210i.jpg
imag0208c.jpg

So when I mount the tyre (with tube), this piece comes out of the rim less than the rest of the tyre (above letter "C"), which apparently causes the wobble:
imag0215g.jpg

I use soapy water, and I also tried to put this part of the tyre in different places (next to the nipple, opposite the nipple, etc.), but nothing helps. Pressing the tyre with hands or inflating up to 45psi doesn't help either.

Is there anything I could try, or I should just accept it as it is? Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    watch this and learn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ADL
    nicklouse wrote:
    watch this and learn.
    Not to use tyre levers to mount the tyre?
    I know it's a bad thing, but I spent a few evenings trying to put these 2011 Schwalbe tyres on the rim without tools, and it wasn't possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry you are not asking about fitting.

sounds like they have just not seated correctly. a bit more pressure may help.

I would fit and use and dont worry.

many tyres have some wobble.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Got a similar thing with a Racing Ralph... let all the air out, whacked it up to 80-90psi, let it back down to riding pressure (35 psi) and then got on a rode it. Wobble got less and less and now is non-existant.
  • ADL
    nicklouse wrote:
    Thanks for a rapid reply.
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like they have just not seated correctly
    Yes, the problem is that they are not seated evenly. What I'm concerned about is that it's always the same piece which doesn't come out of the rim as it should.
    nicklouse wrote:
    a bit more pressure may help
    What is the maximum pressure I can put? NoTubes say 45 psi is max, but maybe a bit more is fine as soon as I don't ride them?
    nicklouse wrote:
    I would fit and use and dont worry.
    In fact, I've been riding them this way for a few months and found the tyres truly awesome. I was just thinking that they could be even better if I get rid of the wobble :D
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Do you use tubes or tubeless.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ADL
    Tubes.
    Inflated the tyre to 4 bar and it exploded when I was examining it right in front of my face. Epic failure, as the rim and the brake disc are now out of true after the wheel flew into the floor. Happy to stay alive though :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's under 60psi? Shouldn't blow up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ADL
    edited July 2011
    But it did.
    Maybe the manometer on Topeak Master Blaster Mini was wrong, but even if it was 5 bar, It should have been ok. What's interesting is that it blew up when I was just holding the tyre in front of myself, not when I was pumping it up.
    Anyway, I'm more concerned about my hearing at the moment. :?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    You blew up a tyre with a shock pump? :?

How long did that take?

Tried it once but it didnt work , shock pumps are HPLV (High Pressure-Low Volume) where as tyre pumps are LPHV (Low pressure High Volume)
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • ADL
    GTD. wrote:
    You blew up a tyre with a shock pump? :?
    Sorry. Fixed now:
    Topeak Master Blaster Mini
  • ADL
    By the way, the tyre blew up right in the problematic place pictured above.

imag0224n.jpg
  • gtd.
    ahh similar to my Racing Ralphs, In my case I think part of the tube was trapped under the bead. I might have put too much air in and when I left the bike in the sun outside work the tire went bang slitting the tube and demounting the tyre and now one bit of the bead seems like its snapped, the rubber is still round it but the bead has a dip in it. I've fitted it to the back as if the worst happens and it blows out whilst riding is better if it the back tyre than the front.

kevlarbead.jpg

folding bead has twisted
  • ADL
    GTD. are these 2011 tubeless-ready version?
    I guess mine goes to the trash bin, and I'm gonna get 2010 NN instead...
  • gtd.
    They are just Evo Triple Nano Folders, mine have improved with each inflate, use for a while (days) de inflate, remount, re inflate cycle. done that twice then haven't been arsed since.

They ride fine and I've since moved on to thicker CST DH tubes. no more punctures, If only I had used them before, I might not have damaged the tyre in the first place as I was using thin Conti presta valved tubes which werent quite fat enough for the width of the tyre so they were a bit thin when the tyre was fully inflated :oops:

Never realised before I changed that was why I used to get punctures. its so obvious now I think about it, I just used to fit any 26" tube to any tyre. :oops:
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    May not be exactly the problem you had but I had one explode off the rim due to foolishness. I didn't read the instructions before fitting tubeless and pumped it up to around 50psi thinking a bit extra will help it seat/seal (it had already seated). Whilst I was doing the next one it blew off the rim. It was still usable though but the sealant everywhere was a bit messy!

Lesson learned. Don't overinflate. The stans instructions say don't go over 40psi. I now just inflate to my normal riding pressures which are never more than 40psi and have had no problems fitting and refitting (Nic Evo 2011 and Ralph Pacestars, both snakeskin). I did puncture a Ralph at Lee Quarry the other day - ripped by a tread block on a smallish rock.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • ADL
    dan1502
    I was inflating it with a Specialized tube.
  • Specialized tubes are funny sizes.
    1.5 -2.2 and 2.4-2.6 i think. No mid ground for 2.35 tyres

Continental tubes are better 1.75 - 2.4

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x