Isopropanol Alcohol

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read a lot of people use this for cleaning brakes etc, but what concentration do you use?

On eBay for example you can buy 5 litres of 99% pure, but should this be diluted down prior to use?
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    5lts is alot
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I used to buy spray cans of Servisol from Maplins but thats expensive. I bought 1l from Biostan off ebay and its lasted ages.

Its useful for all sorts of things, cleaning CDs and DVDs, I also use it for fitting screen protectors to phones, if you spray a mist of IPA on the screen then float the screen protector on you can squeegee out any bubbles. Its also good for dropping phones, MP3 players etc into that have been water damaged, removes the white fuzz the water leaves on the pcb.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It does have many uses, none of which involve ingesting it.

I kid you not, there was a girl who used to put literally anything alchoholic she could find into the christmas punch. When she saw "Isopropyl Alchohol", her eyes lit up.
    We had to hide it, physically locked away :lol:
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Not a good idea, the liver breaks it down to acetone aka nail polish remover.

I used to work in chemical haulage, one of the guys at one of the storage tank farms had been opening the sampling valve on one of the storage tanks of pure alcohol thankfully Ethanol and adding it to his bottle of coca cola. :shock:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er