Recommend me some tyres - some fast ones!

Long_Time_Lurker
Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,
In August and September I'm doing the Coast and Castles Route (Edinburgh to Newcastle), followed shortly after by the Coast-to-Coast.
I'm doing it in on an MTB, so I'm looking for some slicks.

Ideally I want something light, fast running and with a good level of puncture protection. I'm not too bothered about wear - they will only go on when I'm doing my weekend tours.

At the moment I have Schwalbe Big Apple Kevlars and the Conti Ultra Gator Skins as potentials.

What are you lot riding? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks...
2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)

Comments

• coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    Conti Ultra Gator Skins all the way mate,

I use them for my 10 mile commute every day through rain , shine and even snow last year.

Only had a couple of punctures but that was due to nails and tacks on the road. Cant fault them at all and so far I have done 1,020 miles and they still have life left in them.
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    specialized nimbus

preferably the armadillos.

but conti travel contacts are the business for mtb road/trail commuting
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    If you want fast, Schwalbe Kojaks are about as quick as you'll get. You will sacrifice some puncture protection, though. Having said that, I've done at least a couple of thousand miles without puncturing them.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Thanks for the advice...
    Some of them are quite thin - do I need thinner inner tubes?
  • Eunos
    Eunos Posts: 13
    I have Conti Gator Skins on in 1.25 inch & yes, you need to run thinner tubes. They are hard enough to get on anyway!

I've run this pair for 3,000 miles plus & have had no punctures whatsoever. They are very fast running too. I swapped to Schwalbe Marathon Plus for the winter, but you can feel the huge difference in weight & they are slower to get up to speed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get Schwalbe 26x1.0-1.5 tubes, they are very light (120g) and aren't too pricey if you look around.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers gents...
    I'll get some Gators/tubes ordered. Borrowed a mate's bike with slicks last night. Shaved 10 minutes off my commute! Should feel the difference over 140 miles...