The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• cabbage1879
    cabbage1879 Posts: 113
    Daniel B wrote:
    You unscrew the wee valve on your exsisting tube to let the air in, then screw the extenders on the oringinal one. :!:

Ah ok, thanks Cabbage, so the valve is technically always open and ready to accept air...?

Is that the only type of extender, or can you indeed buy ones that replace the original valve altogether?

Any pro's and cons to either? (Assuming the other does exist)

Yep, the valve is always open so you'll constantly check your tyre pressure even though tubes lose air anyway over a period of time.

Those extenders are the quickest way to go, though you can buy tubes with extra long valves, they do cost a bit more but it works out about the same in the end to be honest.

The only con i can see with extenders is that you could in theroy break the orignal valve that lets the air in and there would be a bit more flex, but no big deal to be honest.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    With the Topeak ones you open and close the valve using the extender so you can take the extender off if you want a cleaner look. With all valve extenders though a wrap of PTFE tape around the threads is a good idea to get a good air-tight seal.
    More problems but still living....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    amaferanga wrote:
    With the Topeak ones you open and close the valve using the extender so you can take the extender off if you want a cleaner look. With all valve extenders though a wrap of PTFE tape around the threads is a good idea to get a good air-tight seal.

Got you, like this: 7356-1.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    You had an email with tracking number yet Daniel?

I really want to "follow" my wheels now :lol:
  • daniel_b
    No not a thing yet mate, I expect one either tomorrow or Monday.
    And then we have the fear of customs taking an interest in them :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • willy b
    Daniel B wrote:
    No not a thing yet mate, I expect one either tomorrow or Monday.
    And then we have the fear of customs taking an interest in them :?

I'm sure they wont. Carbonzone seem good about this!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Daniel B wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Got you, like this: 7356-1.jpg

I had one of those. A pile of shite.

Just could not get an airtight seal with my track pump!!! Tried PTFE Tape, & Self amalgamating tape as well. ALL hopeless.

Had to resort to tubes with 80mm Valves :shock:
  • maxh5100
    maxh5100 Posts: 38
    My Carbonzone wheels arrived yesterday. Took 6 days from payment to delivery.

I wasn't expecting them to be so quick, and haven't been able to use them yet as I still need to get some tyres for them!

My neighbour had signed for them so I was bit concerned just in case they had been smashed to pieces on the journey, but no problems and they were well packed.

First impressions are very good - just want to try them out now :)
  • willy b
    6 days from payment! That's awesome! Shen did you get your tracking email? Look forward to seeing the pics :)
  • daniel_b
    Looks like the Planet X ones will only work if your tubes have removable cores - not had time to check mine yet.

And they also told me that I would need 60mm ones for 60mm rims, which they do not have in stock right now either.

The other option is to splash out on some of these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Road-Inner-Tubes-Continental-Race-28-Inner-Tube-25-Rate/CONTTUBE450

They sell them in 10 packs also.

Not much of a price premium over the standard valves, £2.62 as opposed to £2.19 per tube.
    I think I will be more inclined to do this, and get some valve extenders that can screw onto a normal valve for emergency situations.

EDIT: Cheaper still here: http://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s505p683/NUTRAK_Inner_Tube_700_x_18_-_23C_Presta_60mm_Long_Valve_-_Road_

What does everyone else do??

Does anyone know if a 60mm valve will actually extend enough to make it inflatable....?
    Or will it simply reach the end of the rim, in which case I will be forced to go the extender route....

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • willy b
    I've just bought these, seem as good as any.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bti-97-valv ... sion-50mm/

Also just emiled Carbonzone and got my tracking number but i can't access it on works computers :(
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2011
    Yeh they do look ok, but alas I assume will be too small for my 60's.
    Perhaps once you get yours and fit the extenders, would be interested to see how far they stick through the rim, as it may be they are long enough.

I do hope the decision to opt for 60's doesn't live to haunt me, still I had no negative info to go on, other than it catches the wind a bit more, so hey ho.

Just mailed them to see if mine are on the way too, cheers for the tip.
    If you want me to check your own delivery, just wing me over the tracking number via pm,

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I've heard some carbon wheels have weight limits? Anyone know (have an idea) what sort of rider weight you wouldn't want to go above with these sorts of carbon wheels?

I'm 85kg for reference.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Daniel B wrote:
    Perhaps once you get yours and fit the extenders, would be interested to see how far they stick through the rim, as it may be they are long enough.

I do hope the decision to opt for 60's doesn't live to haunt me, still I had no negative info to go on, other than it catches the wind a bit more, so hey ho.

If you want me to check your own delivery, just wing me over the tracking number via pm,

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

I went for the BBB BTI 50mm valve extenders from Wiggle together with Continental Race 28 Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm. There is loads of valve with my 50mm rims and I could easily make do with 10mm less.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • daniel_b
    GMB wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

I went for the BBB BTI 50mm valve extenders from Wiggle together with Continental Race 28 Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm. There is loads of valve with my 50mm rims and I could easily make do with 10mm less.

Cheers GMB, I noticed you mentioned the BBB ones - how are you finding them?

That sounds like it would do the trick perfectly then, I will add that to my list :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • willy b
    They are the ones i've posted above Dan :)
  • gmb
    Daniel B wrote:
    GMB wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Cheers

Dan

They are working perfectly - much better then the PX ones I had fitted to my tubs which leaked air slightly, resulting in the front tyre having to be slightly inflated every ride.

A few weeks on I'm still delighted with my wheels!

Dan,

Cheers GMB, I noticed you mentioned the BBB ones - how are you finding them?

That sounds like it would do the trick perfectly then, I will add that to my list :D

• maxh5100
    Here's my 50mm Carbonzone clinchers on the the bike. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65815111@N05/5993071621/in/photostream

Hope that link works ok.........
    Not the best photo as I took it on my phone

Got them set up yesterday, fitted with GP4000s tyres which went on very easliy without using levers, the first time. Also using Continental tubes and Planet X valve extenders.

Once on the bike the rear deflated, so I took the tyre back off to check the tube. Second time around I really struggled to get the tyre back on.
    After an hour or so of swearing and nearly losing a thumb nail the tyre went back on.
    I'm not aware that I was doing anything wrong :?

Went out for a quick 20 miles to check them out, and I'm very impressed. I seemed to be riding in a gear or two higher than before
    The freewheel is noticably quieter than my old wheels (Campag Khamsin's), and they roll far better.

I'm planning to get a proper ride in the next few days to really get to grips with them.
  • gmb
    Maxh5100 - lovely bike. Please take more pics and post in the Your Bikes section with spec?

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Those wheels (and bike) look awesome, getting excited about my wheels now!
  • willy b
    Max bike and wheels look awesome :) literally can't wait now!

Did you get carbon pads and skewers?
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Does anyone know what the braking strip is made of on these carbon clinchers?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • amaferanga
    gaddster wrote:
    Does anyone know what the braking strip is made of on these carbon clinchers?

Carbon. Hence why they are 'carbon clinchers' and not 'carbon clinchers with alloy braking surface'.
  • gaddster
    ok cheers, so they're not likely to wear out then if using the soft pads..
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm looking to dabble in a pair of these, but i'm looking for honest objective assurances first.

Primarily braking performance. Normal? Average? Below Average - if so how much below?
    I don't just want to hear 'they're fabulous, great deal, get them'. I can tell myself that :lol:.

I've made an inquiry with Yishunstefano, anyone used him? I'm looking at a 60mm Rear/38mm Front combo.
  • gaddster
    Braking is average I'd say, they're not dangerous but not as good as an alu rim. Using mine with DA brakes which I know are excellent so it's not the brakes lacking power. For normal use you'll be fine but it's accepted that they're not good if you're doing lots of descent braking.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Cheers, well Wiltshire isn't known for its mountains. I guess rain is a factor too however these will only be used in the nice weather on the nice bike. We'll see.

Any comments on construction quality? Spoke/nipple holes cleanly drilled? Brake tracks regular and smooth? Tire bead seats/rim sidewall look solid and regular?

I'm not sceptical, simply trying to gauge realistic feedback. There is alot of 'Looks Great!' on this thread, but not alot else.
  • maxh5100
    Thanks for the comments folks!

Yes included were skewers and carbon brake blocks. I needed to buy some brake blocks/shoes as my previous ones were all in one deals that couldn't take the cartridge brake blocks.
    I've only done a flat 20 miles on them so far and the braking isn't as convincing as with an alu rim, but I think the pads do need to be worn in a bit which will improve them.

I should have also mentioned they weigh about 1670g as a pair. Weighed them on the kitchen scales so its not exactly accurate. This is not including skewers, tyres etc.

Ekimike - The build quality seems good to me. Accurately drilled, smooth consistent finish throughout. Admittedly my mine are new so I can't advise on their longevity.
  • gaddster
    Mine are from Dengfu and build quality is very good. Brake track is uniform, wheels were true out of the box and still are with 400+ miles on them, spoke tensions are bang on. All holes are cleanly drilled and sidewalls regular. I'm 88kg and have put these over some rough roads so far without any issues.

I'd recommend them without reservation.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • amaferanga
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I'm looking to dabble in a pair of these, but i'm looking for honest objective assurances first.

Primarily braking performance. Normal? Average? Below Average - if so how much below?
    I don't just want to hear 'they're fabulous, great deal, get them'. I can tell myself that :lol:.

I've made an inquiry with Yishunstefano, anyone used him? I'm looking at a 60mm Rear/38mm Front combo.

I've got carbon clinchers from Xiamen Farsport and I'd describe dry weather stopping power as good (using Prolite carbon pads at the moment). It is a little grabby, but I only notice the grabbiness under light braking. In light rain or if the roads are a bit wet then braking is still good. In proper pissing rain where there's standing water on the road then braking is scary.