Advice - recovering from chest infection, cycle or not?

peter101cycle
peter101cycle Posts: 298
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Okay, so I have been off the bike for 3 weeks with a chest infection it turns out and on my second batch of antibiotics.

I am getting a bit restless and would like to go out gently with my club on Sunday, or should I wait to finish the tablets and get the all clear from my doctor first?
Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn

Comments

• Finish the course of antibiotics. Allow your symptoms to clear fully (Esp if you're coughing up stuff) before you get back on the bike, otherwise you may end up one step forward, two back. No need to go back to your doctor unless your symptoms don't improve fully.
  • Ah, looks like I am stuck then as still coughing up the tasty stuff :)

Slightly annoyed to be missing the best part of summer cycling (TDF time) but just got to it up with it I suppose.

I need to check out rollers for the winter anyway, so I suppose that will have to occupy me for a few days.

Booo.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Finish the course of antibiotics......... No need to go back to your doctor unless your symptoms don't improve fully.

Arrrgh! If you are on antibiotics the doctor would probably told you to make another appointment to check that the drugs have done their job. This is not a nice little tick in the box, it is to check that no antibiotic resistant infection persists. Mankind is waging a war against the ever increasing tide of drug resistant strains of viruses with a deminishing arsnel of effective drugs, and it's not helped by people not finishing their course of antibiotics or not verifying that they have fully worked. Go back to your doctor even if you feel fully fit!
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I think that is rather an alarmist response. If you have finished your course of antibiotics, and your symptoms have fully cleared, I don't think there is a huge amount to be gained by going back to your GP for them to say 'yup, you're better'. Are you medical?