1 month over 500 miles, 12 weeks over 1,200 miles!

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
After an extended absence, I decided to get my arse back in the saddle 12 weeks ago.

Since then I have covered 1,211 miles and so far in the month of July I have covered 504 miles (still one commuting day left tomorrow).

I have had many highs and lows. I have lost just over 2 stone in weight and certainly look slimmer and healthier.

I have to say though, after the initial few weeks, I have found my gains to be minimal and really have found riding every day to be a struggle at times.

I lost the option to drive occasionally mid June, when my car failed its MOT badly and had to be sold for spares/ repairs. With no prospect of a new car in the immediate (or even longer term) future, I am trying to stay motivated with the cycling.

The hardest part for me has been that it doesn't really seem to be getting any easier - that could be because I am not getting enough rest - or more likely because my diet isn't right.

I have cut out all of the junk food and am trying to eat better - but struggle to know what foods will benefit me most.

Anyway, not really a point to this thread, just wanted to share my stats so far...

From Garmin site :

Count:
104 Activities
Time:
77:29:10 h:m:s
Distance:
1,210.92 mi
Max Distance:
40.70 mi
Elevation Gain:
9,541 ft
Avg Speed:
15.6 mph
Max Avg Speed:
17.8 mph
Max Speed:
36.9 mph
Avg Bike Cadence:
79 rpm
Calories:
80,535 C

:)

Comments

• cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Good going!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    That's a good effort.

If you're interested in making it easier, then what's your daily distance? What do you eat? What do you ride, and how lumpy is the commute? Really, it sounds like you're doing about a 20mile round-trip everyday, and that's well within the realms of possibility, but maybe not "easy" every day.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Dalton
    davis wrote:
    That's a good effort.

If you're interested in making it easier, then what's your daily distance? What do you eat? What do you ride, and how lumpy is the commute? Really, it sounds like you're doing about a 20mile round-trip everyday, and that's well within the realms of possibility, but maybe not "easy" every day.

My 'actual' commute is six and a half miles! I stick to this in the morning, as I start work at 6:30am - so have to leave at 5:45am to give me enough time to change when I arrive. Initally I rode the same distance on my return journey. Then steadily increased the mileage on the 'home' run. I am now up to 25 miles on the way home. Making my daily riding roughly 30-35 miles. (It varies by a few miles each day)

I ride every work day (five days per week), on a Specialized Langster (single speed).

Ride is fairly flat with the odd gradient.

I have started making my own smoothies in the morning before I set off, consisting of a banana, some strawberries & blueberries and a scoop of whey protein, mixed in a blender with milk.

At work I either have cereal or toast for breakfast and lunch. Then try and eat a half decent meal at night, usually chicken/ fish or pasta.
  • davis
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can.
    Getting up at quarter to six every morning is going to be hard, and if I were you I wouldn't be so keen on extending the commute home every night; get home earlier, and get plenty of sleep! How much sleep are you getting now?

In other words: how the bloody hell do you do it? I wouldn't be happy getting up at 5h45 either!
  • Dalton
    davis wrote:
    Sounds like you're doing everything you can.
    Getting up at quarter to six every morning is going to be hard, and if I were you I wouldn't be so keen on extending the commute home every night; get home earlier, and get plenty of sleep! How much sleep are you getting now?

In other words: how the bloody hell do you do it? I wouldn't be happy getting up at 5h45 either!

Nah - I leave the house at 5:45am, up well before then. Normally up at 5am. In bed by 10pm on a school night, or I fall asleep in the armchair, LOL.

The only thing that keeps me going is setting targets for myself.

I have achieved 500 miles this month, which considering three months ago I hadn't ridden in ages, was something I would never have thought possible.

What I guess I am struggling with, is the weight loss has fallen off. I am lucky if I lose a pound a week now, sometimes not even that. My stat's on the bike are pretty much consistent now also. I feel I have hit a brick wall.

Maybe I need a blast on my geared bike to cheer me up!

:D
  • davis
    I wouldn't be surprised if you're just knackered mate.

Although weight loss will fluctuate and plateau, and it's always a case of diminishing returns as your body gets used to a particular type of exercise. If you *really* need/want to lose weight, then you'll probably need to mix the training up a bit. Taking up running would certainly do it! Do you actually need to lose weight?

I don't really want to advocate more exercise to guy who has to do the hours you do!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I suspect the reason it's not getting any easier is that your average speed is rising. If you cycled at the same speed today that you did six weeks ago you'd find it no effort at all.

I come back from a 30 mile cycle almost as tired now as I did 12 years ago when I got back into it. But then I averaged 12mph, today I'm doing 20+.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    That is really good going!

Inspirational infact, I think I'm going to try something very similar. I need to shift a couple of stone.

But how did you record all your stats like that on the garmin website? How does that work?
  • Dalton
    Yeah, could do with losing a bit more. I was up to nearly 16 stone at the start of the year. Was 15 and a half stone when got back in the saddle and am now 13 stone 5.

I am only 5ft 6ins tall - so still a bit on the heavy side.

I can't run for toffee, I have Asthma - doesn't mix well with running.

I have bought a rowing machine, maybe I will dust it off and use it someday!

Hopefully you are right - and I am just knackered - I certainly feel it. I have a holiday next week, so may have a week off the bike. Although I am close to being inside top 100 on SC Stats board - damn it!
  • Dalton
    Mac9 wrote:
    That is really good going!

Inspirational infact, I think I'm going to try something very similar. I need to shift a couple of stone.

But how did you record all your stats like that on the garmin website? How does that work?

Thanks!

As for stats, I have a Garmin 500 - which is a fantastic bit of kit. Coupled with their site, it gives you every bit of information your could ever want. Highly recommended.

Not cheap though.
  • davis
    Dalton wrote:
    Yeah, could do with losing a bit more. I was up to nearly 16 stone at the start of the year. Was 15 and a half stone when got back in the saddle and am now 13 stone 5.

I am only 5ft 6ins tall - so still a bit on the heavy side.

I can't run for toffee, I have Asthma - doesn't mix well with running.

I have bought a rowing machine, maybe I will dust it off and use it someday!

Hopefully you are right - and I am just knackered - I certainly feel it. I have a holiday next week, so may have a week off the bike. Although I am close to being inside top 100 on SC Stats board - damn it!

Dude, you need a break. If you're not enjoying it, you'll start to resent it. That won't help you. Yeah, you're still a bit heavy. It's not the end of the world. You can lose the weight, but don't thrash yourself into doing it in one big go. You'll hate it.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Good work mate. I'm in a similar vertical/weight situation to you and have a knee problem so running can't happen. It's great work mate. I hope to get rid of a couple of stones before the end of the year and am currently building up miles, riding for leisure rather than just to commute. Kinda changes the mindset a little bit - a ride for no reason other than to go for a ride.

That's a hard 12 weeks you've had. A few days off the bike should help a little. I try to ride 4 of my 6 working days and leisure ride on day off or one morning before/evening after work.

Keep up the good work, and make sure you let u know how you get on.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Two stone in twelve weeks is quite a lot, it's bound to not continue at that rate. If you think about it, you've lost a good load of the easy stuff, the rest will be harder. If you continue cycling though, it will eventually drop.

Some weeks will always be hard, this week for instance, I've genuinely had 9 headwinds out of 10 commutes. They weren't all very strong, but it's enough to just add a little extra (and make me whine like a little girl), making this one a pretty tough week.

I always say that the best way to get your cycling mojo back is to force yourself to use public transport instead. You'll be wishing you'd taken the bike before you even get on the bus.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I'd go with the knackered bit - early mornings can be hard.

I get up at 5:20, and leave the house at 6, for 12.5-miles each way, and if I'm a bit behind on sleep it is really hard.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I'd go with the knackered bit - early mornings can be hard.

I get up at 5:20, and leave the house at 6, for 12.5-miles each way, and if I'm a bit behind on sleep it is really hard.

Me too, up at 5.30 and out at 6, 32 mile round trip, usually bike on Sundays plus 20 to 30 mile running over the course of the week. It's pretty sad but I need to be in bed by 9.30 latest!