Too Specialized?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Yesterday, on my way home from work I slowly reeled in a fellow roadie.

He was on a red white and black Specialized with red bar tape. His jersey was red, white and black Specialized. His helmet was red, white and black Specialized. His shoes were red, white and black Specialized.

Now it did look quite a smart effect but is this trying too much?! ie not just the colour scheme but the brand as well. Who knows, maybe he worked for Specialized but I don't think I could bring myself to cover myself head to foot in kit that was from the same company as the bike.

But, like I said, it did look smart!

So, is looking like an advert for Specialized a good thing or was I just suffering from sartorial envy yesterday evening? :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Rolf F wrote:
    So, is looking like an advert for Specialized a good thing or was I just suffering from sartorial envy yesterday evening? :lol:

I hope he got a good discount off that lot. :wink:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    'tis a bit of a concern for me. My LBS mostly pushes Specialized, and I've got a Red/White/Black Roubaix, Red/White Spesh plastic hat, Black/Red Spesh BG gloves, and Black Spesh MTB shoes. The hat, mitts, and shoes are Specialized purely 'cos they fit me really well, but I may have colour-matched a bit :-)

Time to mix it up a bit; I suppose it does look like I've just crashed into my LBS with an open wallet and without a clue.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    davis wrote:
    'Red/White Spesh plastic hat, Black/Red Spesh BG gloves, and Black Spesh MTB shoes. The hat, mitts, and shoes are Specialized purely 'cos they fit me really well, but I may have colour-matched a bit

Thats me, that is. :oops:
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    He may have bought all his gear from a Concept store.

There's one near me but it isn't very good precisely because they only stock one of any product at a given price point (e.g. if you wanted a pair of shoes for around a hundred quid) and they're almost all red, black, and white.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I colour match a lot, but try and avoid wearing entirely one brand as it seems a bit odd/fanboy

much like I'll never wear a band tshirt of the band I'm seeing that day (unless it's over 10 years old) It's the rulez
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I
    much like I'll never wear a band tshirt of the band I'm seeing that day (unless it's over 10 years old) It's the rulez

:lol: As I delve deeper into Skindred and Forever Never I've always wondered why my mate would do that at gigs.

Thanks for explaining.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited July 2011
    First I look great in head to toe red lycra. Especially when pushing my bike from Clapham South to Clapham junction becuase I just snapped the frame. :oops:

2nd and I hope this wasn't stuj15, but last Thursday (i think) which would of on my last ride round RP before said frame failure, I scalped a roadie dress just like the OP, having been taken on the climb to Richmond Gate I turned and headed towards Kingston, got him on the down hill at about 33mph and managed to get out of Kingston gate before he got back. Maybe he dived out at ham. Maybe he didn't! Maybe he wasn't trying. I suspect he could beat my PB round the park.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Sketchley wrote:
    2nd and I hope this wasn't stuj15,
    :lol: No not me, I'm from the 'other' side of London. Apart from the helmet, gloves, shoes, bottle cage (and tyres as you've just seen in the rant thread) I don't own any other Spesh stuff. Pure mix match of tatty Endura shorts and t-shirts. :) (got to keep the FCN up some how)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I colour match a lot, but try and avoid wearing entirely one brand as it seems a bit odd/fanboy

The amount of people that don't understand that rule astounds me. The only allowance I make is if you're going to see an band that no one else there would have heard of, like there would would be just you there if it wasnt a club night.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    On the commute I tend to go for the scruffy/camo look, cheap, washed out, sleeveless T with baggy overshorts (over lycra) below, no socks and clipless pedals and shoes.

In winter I wear tights under the overshorts and washed out full sleeve T under a hi viz jacket. If it's raining I wear my dirty old BBB overshoes.

Wearing full matching team kit or colour coordinated lycra etc on the 6 mile commute just seems way to "try hard"...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Clever Pun wrote:

Oh dear, does this make me an Aldi fanboy? :wink:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Of course, just to contradict myself, one reason why I am disinclined to wear a Specialized lid or shoes is because I don't ride a Specialized bike! I don't really like using brands that are from other bike manufacturers than the ones I own :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Could be worse. He could be riding shimano but wearing campag clothing. That causes marriages to break up in Italy.
  • It's only an issue if you haven't got the skills to back it up. Akin to a footballer wearing pink boots - you've got to be good to carry it off.
    Nothing better than passing someone head to toe in Team Garmin colours, while I'm on my mtb in mismatched baggies :wink:
    (my commuting adversary)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have a Specialized Roubaix but most days I look like the Gore Bikewear fan club
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I try and spread out the brands I buy but recently I have become a bit of a craft fan, I do have a spesh helmet and gloves though
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I

:lol: As I delve deeper into Skindred and Forever Never I've always wondered why my mate would do that at gigs.

Thanks for explaining.

Actually, I have a dubwar cd you can have gratis, drop me a pm if you're interested
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    prawny wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

The amount of people that don't understand that rule astounds me. The only allowance I make is if you're going to see an band that no one else there would have heard of, like there would would be just you there if it wasnt a club night.

but then theres about 5 of you at the gig and you already have a tshirt... warning warning stalker alert :lol:
    unless I've misread that

I prefer to wear a shirt that compliments the band or someone they've played with, I've had quite a few guys in bands telling me my tshirt is great and that band is good etc
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I

Thanks for explaining.

Actually, I have a dubwar cd you can have gratis, drop me a pm if you're interested

I have a feeling I may also have some Dub War stuff - very old, may have been binned years ago - if you're interested I'll have a trawl through the archive.
  • Clever Pun
    BigMat wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I

Thanks for explaining.

I have a feeling I may also have some Dub War stuff - very old, may have been binned years ago - if you're interested I'll have a trawl through the archive.

I got a load of stuff given to me when my mate left his record shop to go back home to NZ... got some stuff I'm going to have to get round to selling/giving to charity
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5