OT: Facebook

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Deactivated my account yesterday. I joined about a month ago to follow a new bike company that didn't have a website, since then I have received 40 or 50 requests to be friends. I clicked accept on all of them but never made a post or status update or whatever you call it.

All I really saw a load of toot, people I kinda know telling me they were going to bed or getting up, people telling me to 'set this as your status' blah blah blah. Perhaps I just know boring people but I really didn't get it. Maybe sharing photos with family and firends is a good idea, that I can understand, but do you really want to share them with EVERYONE? Perhaps I just don't get it.

The straw that broke the camels back was a friend who's husband took her to afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason's as a birthday treat. While she was there she posted a picture of him sitting there on his own and he took a picture of her sitting there on her own. She was with her loved on but all she could do was post pictures to the people she probably would rather have been with.

I just find it weird!

I saw something on tinternet the other day that made me laugh. Attention seekers...use Facebook to write vague, enigmatic status updates which will prompt responses like 'u ok hun x'

Yeah I post on forums but they are specific areas where I can talk about things with like minded people, that's different. OK this post is totally random but I feel comfortable enough with the group on here to do that.

Bit bored here today as you might guess. Perhaps it's just me that doesn't get it.

Comments

• Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    I'd been on FB since late 2007 when a friend had made me an account and it was all up and coming and the next big thing.

It used to be like a huge dating website, everyone had their profiles open and you could search through the singlies by shared interest etc. Then it got huge and everyone locked their accounts and became more privacy aware.

I deleted all my content in march this year (everything off my wall, photos, notes etc took ages) and deactivated my account a month later. I don't miss it and I thought it had developed into a bad habit to check it every morning to see what peopel had been up to rather than doing things myself.

Eventually the next big thing will come along and it'll go the way of myspace.

Not before selling off everyones data to recoup their losses though.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    What's facebook?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have two facebook accounts.

One personal. One for professional. I never link the two.

I have stuff on Facebook but I don't think i will put stuff on their that is deeply personal.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I don't understand why people slag Facebook off. Its only as interesting, useless, boring, annoying, offensive, intriguing, useful as the people you add on it. If your newsfeed is full of bo11ocks, you're adding the wrong people.

Anyway, all the cool people are using Google+ these days ;)
  • I know someone who uses Facebook as a bullying tool. She is a deeply sad and pathetic person but she is manipulative enough to know that she can have an affect on her target/s using Facebook as a medium.

I am just waiting for her to get her comeuppance. It will happen one day, and if it involves her being on fire, I will not urinate on her to put it out.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    use it only on the iphone for about 2 folk, much better than the website which is vile. I don't load pics etc up on the whole.
  • FB isn't what is used to be...too many kids on there, too much crap.

I closed my account a couple of weeks ago and now I actually have things to talk about when I meet up with friends.

Plus I just got fed up reading that someone had just 'put up a curtain pole', 'baked some cakes' etc.

And WTF is that location crap about? I don't give a shoot that you've just entered the public lavs on Bournemouth sea-front.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I prefer the pub, It's great you get to meet people, drink and talk to them. Although they do look at you oddly if you ask to friend them!

Seriously odd thing that happened to me is that my brother in law lives in the states and has two teenage step daughters. When I met them a couple of years back, I added them to Facebook no harm I thought. Cue friend requests from every teenage girl (and some boys) at their high school in the states. Apparently number of friends on FB is big status thing their so any suggestion are simply clicked on. I declined to accept them.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I just find it weird!

I saw something on tinternet the other day that made me laugh. Attention seekers...use Facebook to write vague, enigmatic status updates which will prompt responses like 'u ok hun x'

This sums up my views.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Occasionally I listen to Johnny Vaughan doing the breakfast show on Capital. Him on anti-social networking is very funny, and pretty much how I view FB and the like.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ... Maybe sharing photos with family and firends is a good idea, that I can understand, but do you really want to share them with EVERYONE? ... Yeah I post on forums but they are specific areas where I can talk about things with like minded people, that's different.

You'd prefer Google+...
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I just find it weird!

This sums up my views.

+1.

I use facebook but I do get tired of people saying "just had the worst thing ever happen to me' and when you probe it turns out to be a stubbed toe or something...

To be honest sometimes I wonder why I am on it, I think its more out of curiosity than anything else. Out of all the "friends" I have I'd probably only count 3 maybe 4 as true friends and one of them is the Mrs!

Everyone gets something different out of it I guess.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    notsoblue wrote:
    I don't understand why people slag Facebook off. Its only as interesting, useless, boring, annoying, offensive, intriguing, useful as the people you add on it. If your newsfeed is full of bo11ocks, you're adding the wrong people.

agreed It's great for music events and the like

but as someone mentioned there are attention seekers there and it gets samey quickly, if they're not actually friends they get binned. I run a tight ship
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    Voyeurism,

It gives you the opportunity to have a good old root around someone else life with no other interaction.

You can have a good look through their holiday photos for the odd bikini/speedo shot. I got a new house recently and found some photos in the loft of some lass on holiday. Flicking through them reminded me of being on facebook :D

It's like constant reality TV.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Mr Sworld has just read a bit of a boring thread about FB on BikeRadar...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Clever Pun wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

agreed It's great for music events and the like

but as someone mentioned there are attention seekers there and it gets samey quickly, if they're not actually friends they get binned. I run a tight ship

Am I still on a friend on your facebook account :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's also very useful for organising events. Just as an example, my uni friends are now scattered all over the country, it's quite good as a way of organising a get together with people who you wouldn't see/call otherwise.

You could phone/email everyone, of course, but it's a lot of hassle when there's a lot of people on the invite list.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Mr Sworld wrote:

u ok hun? x
    <a>road</a>
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Mr Sworld wrote:

u ok hun? x

gr8 m8. TFIF!
  • essex-commuter
    bails87 wrote:
    It's also very useful for organising events. Just as an example, my uni friends are now scattered all over the country, it's quite good as a way of organising a get together with people who you wouldn't see/call otherwise.

You could phone/email everyone, of course, but it's a lot of hassle when there's a lot of people on the invite list.

Yep, can't argue with that.
  • essex-commuter
    Mr Sworld wrote:

u ok hun? x

:lol::lol:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I have been out of my FB account for a month - not missed a thing.

Opened it in 2009 got fed up with people I once worked with 10 years ago and was not really friends even then with telling me they were watching Coronation Street (Clearly it is a popular show maybeI 'll tune in one day!).

Utter waste of time and reading this has convicned me to now deactivate my account.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Sketchley wrote:
    What's facebook?
    I think its another name for Twitter.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Sketchley wrote:
    I prefer the pub, It's great you get to meet people, drink and talk to them. Although they do look at you oddly if you ask to friend them!
    I hate the pub. I hate facebook. Internet forums are pointless.

I like cats.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I still have a Facebook account for keeping in contact with the family in Canada and with some of Jake's family (the young un's mostly).

Rarely update my status though and I don't think I've uploaded a picture in months.

Twitter is where I leave my inane comments ;)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I have one because I got sick of having the "what do you mean you're not on facebook?" conversation.

Of course, given that the reason I never got one in the first place is because I'm not comfortable putting a load of information about myself on the public internet I don't think I'm using it as intended. My profile is unsearchable and I only ever post links to funny things I found on the internet on it.

Thought about google+ but then they started locking people out of their gmail accounts (because if you use gmail they tie it to your google+) to blackmail them into turning over identity documents, which is way more insidious privacy-wise than even the worst excesses of facebook over the years.

I'm also not totally wild about the same company having access to the contents of all my email and anything I might put on a social networking thing for marketing purposes.[/i]
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I was in my local Spaz (Sorry Spar) the other day when two couples in their 20's bumped into one another.

Conversation went as follows.

First Couple. " Oh you back off Holiday then how was it ? "

Second Couple " Its all on Facebook "

First Couple " Great we'll have a look" Then they walk off

WTF have a conversation with them whilst your face to face if your friends.
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    I have just posted that line about attention seekers as my FB status just to have a dig at the number of people I know that do that!! Sums up what annoys me about that approach.

I do find that the 'hide all posts from X' function is very useful for semi-blocking the most inane folk you know.

I mainly use it to organise events or to show photos to everyone easily. Getting more tired of it by the day though, Twitter is much better.

What's the craic with Google+?
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I play Scrabble on FB. Excellent.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Never had an FB account, never want one.