Weight Loss

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
I just got my hardtail yesterday. A nice Massi Pro Evo Carbon with XT groupset and can creek wheels with racing ralph and Nobby Nic tyres, EA70 Bars, EA90 90mm stem, UST Titanium Seat post, hayes stroker trail brakes 180/160mm

My question is simple, I thought it would be fun to try and get some weight loss to bring the bike to around 22lb (currenlty around 24-25lb)

I have a budget of about £500 so basically what would you suggest? I do mild XC and I am only about 12 stone so components don't have to be over built etc.

I was thinking about some Mavic CrossRide wheels (think they are about 1700g) and maybe some Conti Race King 2.0 supersonics.

This should drop about 500g and cost about £260-280 but I not sure where else to go?

Thoughts on bars, brake rotors, stem, etc? Basically finishing kit.

Thoughts??

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    edited July 2011
    I was thinking about some Mavic CrossRide wheels (think they are about 1700g) and maybe some Conti Race King 2.0 supersonics.

Way off, they're nearer 2k, are you sure you're not thinking or Crossmax of some sort? Some Hope Hoops on Stans Crest wheels would be a hefty saving, stick some yellow tape in and run them tubeless with standard tyres and you've lost even more weight. The Schwalbe tyres convert over easily too.

All depends on budget.

150g saved on some EC70 Monkeylite bars (assuming you want the same width). Tyres you could swap as you say, swapping to narrow tyres will change the feel of the bike a lot though, be sure that's what you're really after. The Schwalbe tyres are very lightweight for their width, to be honest I'd much rather have them than a set of Race Kings.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Which bike did you get? On the Massi website they all come with Fulcrum wheels.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would have bought a better bike then.

why change anything if it does not need it?

what happens if you HAVE to replace something but you have already spent the money on something that you WANTED to change?

also to know what to suggest for you to spend your money on we need to know exactly what you have now.

what CC wheels? what bars etc...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Not always that bad, that sort of thing often comes with hefty wheels, due to the fact I'm assuming a lot of riders will have a decent set they swap over? If he sold his previous set new for £80 on the classifieds or something, it wouldn't take much more cash to get something you'd find on a bike twice the price.

I bought a Pitch, sold the old unused wheels for £100 or so, stuck some Hopes on. Total cost about £150 more, better idea than spending twice as much and getting a mid range Enduro.
  • mr_eddy
    Ok bars are easton ea70 and cc wheels I dont know as they have been de stickers but come in around 2200g they bike was a transfer only hence the different setup
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    2200g?? Is that including cassette/discs/skewer?
  • mr_eddy
    Thats with nothing on