Calories calculation formula needed for a free bike App

nikpink
nikpink Posts: 2
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum so first of all thanks for reading my post.

I'm writing as I think you only can help me in my research, I need to figure out a formula to calculate calories burned riding using only the following parameters:

• Weight
• Ride distance
• Ride time
• Average speed (retrieved used ride distance/ride time)

I found different formulas online but all of them seem pretty generic for male and females and sometimes take in consideration the heart rate that I cannot calculate.

Could you please help me finding out the best solution?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Nick

Comments

• That's insufficient data to make a calculation of energy metabolised. Some is irrelevant (age & gender for instance).
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Guess?, it'll be about as accurate as any other calorie calculation, plus its impossible for anyone to prove you've got it wrong!
  • Generic formulas are generic for a reason - it's simply impossible to provide a general, catch-all formula for what you want. There are physiological and environmental factors that cannot be captured by an app...
    Guess?, it'll be about as accurate as any other calorie calculation...
    QFT
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Best Book I have ever found for anything like this is

Advanced Exercise Prescription by Vivien Heyward.

Was the bible when I did my sports sciences degree, but maybe thats why I ended up a Screw.

Seriously there are too many individual variables to have a generic formula that works for each individual acurately.

Cycling plus have just taken on a new set of featured riders and they were all ran through physiological testing to establish baselines at a facility that is open to the public have a look at that and see if they are willing to share any intellectual property with you.

Doubt it!