Cycling shoes and flying, where to pack them?

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Off to Alps this weekend and last minute preps; if there`s one item cycle kit I don`t want lost its my SPD shoes ()metal plates).

So what advice about where to pack them , hand luggage with security checks or with bike in bike box?

ta

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I always but mine in with the bike, they aren't going to be much good to you if the bike gets lost.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I've always caried mine in hand luggage - never had any issues at all.

Completely agree with nferrar above though.
  • JamesB
    anyone had any issues with teh hand luggae carriage then ?

loss of a bike could be resolved by hiring one
  • dd1
    dd1 Posts: 73
    Always carry mine, (along with the pedals) in hand luggage or checked in luggage on the off chance something happens with the bike and I need to hire one. Never had any problems though
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod Sram Red
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    As we'd ridden to the airport and would be riding away from the destination airport we wore our cycling shoes (and cycling kit) on the plane. I don't think our hand luggage would be allowed these days (tools, pedals, Sig bottle full of meths etc).
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I flew to Majorca in February and Pyrenees in June. Both times I had shoes, pedals and a few small tools in my hand luggage. There were no questions at all when the bag went through the scanner.
    I think the general belief is that pedals cannot be used to hijack a plane.
  • JamesB
    I think the general belief is that pedals cannot be used to hijack a plane

sounds a very sensible general belief too :)
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    Slightly off topic but I took a chain whip in hand luggage by accident once and only found out I was carrying it when I got to the other end ! I'm sure you could do some damage with one of those if you were so inclined.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I carried a 12" steel rule in and out of Europe for 15 months, without realising it was in my laptop bag. No one seemed to notice.

Wednesday evening I was laughing at security at Dusseldorf, as I'd cable tied a case shut, and they coudn't open it, as no one was allowed scissors...
  • JamesB
    I was laughing at security

is that a wise thing to do generally, I`m not sure how much excuse they need for a strip search :o
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I was laughed at after they spotted what they thought was a rocket-propelled grenade but turned out actually to be a Phillppe Starck lemon squeezer.

Juicisalifthemagazine.info.jpg
    Never had much problem with bike stuff, except the one time in Italy I was asked to open and unpack my bike case. I deeply suspect the guy was a bike geek who was curious what I'd done their local gran fondo on (as I was hastily repacking it all he proudly informed me he owned a Colnago, easily trumping my lower-mid range Bianchi).