j_l Posts: 425
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
R.I.P quality live F1 coverage available to the masses

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 550930.stm
I'm not old I'm Retro

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    that is the most crock of shoot thing i have ever read!
    "delighted that F1 will stay on the BBC" well half of the races?
    I've been watching F1 most of my life, but i dont watch much, if any other TV so i'm sure as hell not going to pay for sky sports just so i can watch the other half of the races!

Who ever approved this needs to be shot! Bernie is obviously getting ready to retire and taking Murdoch's money to add to his already huge piggy bank!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • "We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

Loads of adverts in the middle of the race, shite graphics and terrible commentators. Yeah, great.

Lets hope the BTCC stays with ITV.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Looks like Bernie is collecting some cash ready to pay a fine
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    cons - ads in the middle of races.

pros - f1 in 3D
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    that is the most crock of shoot thing i have ever read!

+ A tonne of potatos
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    pros - f1 in 3D

how is this a pro? 3D sport is dog dirt, in fact 3D in general is a bit crap as i dont want to sit in a room looking like Buddy fing Holly or a member of the proclaimers to watch a farking film or programme.

F1 is for those hungover sundays lounging in front of the tv for uninterupted man time, not for sky sports to feck it over and do a load of fancy shizzle to it!

Bernie mate, you've got enough cash, dont be a douche all your life!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    This is a poblem thats been coming for some time, coverage costs dollar, the BBC are under growing public and political pressure to cut costs. Whilst there are millions of people who are saying "what the F**k?" at this decision, there are more people who will say "how F**king much of our licence fee has gone on F1?"

The BBC in its current guise does not allow it to compete as it has finite finacial clout and also greater accountability as to its actions, in my opinion this means that the current structure of the BBC is not fit for purpose. Whilst its flagship channels should be ringfenced under the terms of the licence fee, other arms of the BBC I think should be opened up to some kind of advertising. Many established things in life have sponsors or partners, Whilst i dont want adverts particularly on the beeb, I'd be happy to have "F1 in association with Halfords" or similar on a dedicated BBC sport channel and strictly guidelined product placements in drama to increase revenues and allow for better programming and ability to present blue ribband events.

What this does allow for however is a space to showcase lesser known sports and bring them to the public eye (such as MTB). And more subscription sport does present an opportunity for an ailing public house trade to have bait for customers.

I'm not happy that F1 is disappearing somewhat, but its a sign of the way things will continue to go unless something is done
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    :(

I reckon it was inevitable that F1 broadcasting would start going the same way as football broadcasting at some point, given the amount of money slopping around. But it's still a pi$$er if you don't have or want Sky Sports. That's spoilt my day.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    This sucks balls of rubber!
    I don't have Sky or Virgin because I just never have and still do not watch enough television to ever justify it
    I do watch all F1 and this new deal has indeed left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially the fact that I am sort of forced to line Rupert Murdoch's pockets to watch one of my favourite sporting events

Well, it seems as if F1 will lose another loyal fan too....
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Think it's time to find the poison dwarf of F1 and put him in a ditch with his head backwards!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pros - f1 in 3D
    I don't think so. In fact, I'm almost certain that it will be the same camera crew and facilities actually doing the filming as before - which was neither BBC or Sky.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    looks like on certain Sundays rides may incorporate friends houses with a Murdoch dish
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Gazlar wrote:
    What this does allow for however is a space to showcase lesser known sports and bring them to the public eye (such as MTB). And more subscription sport does present an opportunity for an ailing public house trade to have bait for customers.

I

in reality though its unlikely that lesser sports will ever be shown it will just be more crappy, Football, Snooker, Darts, Golf, etc,etc.

I also don't watch enough TV to justify sky etc, and it looks like ITV4 will be losing the TDF in 2013 too :evil:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The TV contract news really sucks for fans. Perhaps more people will now tune to the genius of MotoGP:

photo%20virage%20moto%20gp.jpg

motogp2.jpg

....until Sky get their greasy mitts on it that is! :evil:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Ina word : sucktacular

The beebs F1 coverage is properly excellent at the moment and losing half the season is a massive dissapointment. Doubly so because it's going to pay tv. I barely watch telly anyway, so shelling out for however much sky is a month is out of the question.

I understand the commercial reasons behind it (time zones, low percived value for races t'other side of the world etc) but that doesnt mean I'm happy about it.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • I was in a plane with Bernie once - Emirates from Dubai to London and I by some mistake on Emirates behalf was put in F class.

He spent most of the time talking on one of those phones in the seat. Never seen anyone else do that.

Previously that week and again in F from Jeddah to Dubai there was a man with a falcon on his arm. Neither of them seemed to like me.
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    Don't watch much TV, Can never justify the cost of sky and don't want the kids sat there all day watching the cartoon network, never have time to watch the full F1, always catch the hour's highlights on Sunday eve anyway, as long as the beeb spend the money on decent other stuff that's fine with me.
  • Gazlar
    edited July 2011
    J L

Yeah the reality is that it probaly wouldn't happen, I mean more that it's an opportunity missed. I think the big nail in that coffin came with the axing of Grandstand. It's a shame as a BBC granstand channel could work, especially with less pressure to deliver huge viewing figures compared to BBC 1.

The big thing is however sponsorship. Most sports coverage is dripping with advertising through the nature of the sport which the corporation earns nothing from. If the rules were relaxed so that the BBC could earn revenue from having an associate, especially for flagship broadcasting then what would be the harm? Are you that fussed if you watch Match of the Day or Nike Match of the Day? I don't understand why advertising on the beeb in some way is such a no no if it's done in such a way that it doesn't mean ad breaks. Yeah I pay a licence fee, but I also catch buses on occasion, I pay my fare but they still have adverts, I'm not bothered. If that extra revenue can provide better programmes or a cheaper licence, then great, but to be honest I'd rather see it spent on maintaining and improving what can be broadcast.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it looks like I will be missing some of the races live.

If it was possible to just get an F1 add on then maybe but I will not pay for stuff I do not want or like.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    With you there Gazlar.

I pay for Sky (a lot) and still get adverts. Sky + Helps me get around that.

No problem with sponsorship.

Where does anyone surf first for news and sports news - bet for most it's the beeb - it's just clean and uncluttered - it's when does sponsorship of stuff mean logo's and a like encroching on everything beeb?
  • nicklouse
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Gazlar
    With you there Gazlar.

I pay for Sky (a lot) and still get adverts. Sky + Helps me get around that.

No problem with sponsorship.

Where does anyone surf first for news and sports news - bet for most it's the beeb - it's just clean and uncluttered - it's when does sponsorship of stuff mean logo's and a like encroching on everything beeb?

I suppose in the same way as something like gillette soccer Saturday, the Beeb website and the BBC in general doesn't become a giant advertising board, but the company involved in partnering any given broadcast, well their company name becomes part of the programmes name and logo. It doesn't then hammer us with adverts really in the same kind of way as the axa Fa cup or whatever or the Uci Nissan downhill.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • The reason the BBC cannot have adverts (of any kind) is in order to remain "impartial" - The idea behind it is that if they are receiving money from any sort of advert they could be seen as being biased towards something or other... Crazy I know.

I wouldn't mind the idea of an "in assosciation with..." type situation, and i'm sure the rest of the country wouldn't, but the government makes the rules...
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    oh **** :evil:

Bernie is a total gimp, I distinctly remember him saying that Formula 1 would remain on free to air TV

It's also a part of the teams concorde agreement IIRC. OK technically it is still on free to air TV, but only half of the time. Bang out of order.

Step down Bernie before you destroy the sport you money grabbing little ****

I'd suspect that Bernie is about to get shafted in the courts and needs more money (yeah right) to pay off his court case about the sale of F1 a few years ago
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Andy B wrote:

I'd suspect that Bernie is about to get shafted in the courts and needs more money (yeah right) to pay off his court case about the sale of F1 a few years ago

+ spuds.
  • Gazlar
    Yeah this is true, but in reality this goes out of the window when broadcasting sponsored events or with the sheer amount of advertising in sport, why can't the rules be altered with strict ethical guidelines to get some of this pie. You could even ring fence the main channels if need be and use on BBC subsidary channels
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Light at the end of the tunnel..

Formula 1 teams seek clarification on new BBC/Sky television deal

They've obviously not been consulted and aren't overly happy about this
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I like the BBC the way it is TBH, I'd rather it stayed relatively trustworthy and unbiased, as well as making better stuff than (sh)ITV.

Has anyone watched foreign television?! :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Has anyone watched foreign TV? When you put it that way even ITV looks good.