Avid Juicy with 180mm rotors

chedabob
chedabob Posts: 1,133
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a 185mm rotor on the front and what I assume is a 160mm on the rear (it's the avid rotor that comes with the Juicy 3s).

I'm looking to get a new wheelset for commuting and I've found a good deal on a set of wheels, but with centrelock hubs.

I don't want to spend £30+ each on Avid's rotors. My thinking is that I could put a 180mm rotor on both front wheels, and get a new Post Mount to 180mm Post Mount adaptor for the front. Is this possible? Also would I need to do the same for the rear, or is the Avid G2 rear the same size as everyone elses rotors?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct use a 180 mount rather than a 185 mount.

rear no change.

or buy some center lock adapters and use your current discs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    nicklouse wrote:
    correct use a 180 mount rather than a 185 mount.

rear no change.

or buy some center lock adapters and use your current discs.

I'm trying to run two wheelsets (1 knobbly, 1 slicks) so swapping the rotors isn't really an option.

Do I need shorter mounting bolts too?

Oh, and are Shimano rotors alright for Avid Juicy 3s? I remember seeing a thread a while ago about some rotors being thicker than others.
  • MrFlibble
    MrFlibble Posts: 15
    I looked into this a while back and the consensus at the time was that the juicy's could snag particullarly on floating rotor designs and the likes of Shimano XT centrelock rotors with the plastic centres.

Superstar do two adaptors for £15 and also do a 180mm adaptor.

I ended up using superstar adaptors with avid discs (I stuck with the 185's), which I got for less than £30 from Merlin with the VIP discount (which is free to sign up for)
    Kona Kula Gold

Trek 6000

Giant Trance 3
  • nicklouse
    also get some rotor shims as you will need to shim the 6 bolt rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MrFlibble wrote:
    I looked into this a while back and the consensus at the time was that the juicy's could snag particullarly on floating rotor designs and the likes of Shimano XT centrelock rotors with the plastic centres.
    Shimano don;t make floating rotors, and they certainly don;t make plastic centred rotors.

They do have an alloy carrier on some models, but this will not intrude with any known brake.

It is Hope's floating rotor design that causes problems.
  • nicklouse
    edited July 2011
    MrFlibble wrote:
    Shimano don;t make floating rotors, and they certainly don;t make plastic centred rotors.

They do have an alloy carrier on some models, but this will not intrude with any known brake.

It is Hope's floating rotor design that causes problems.

Err some do. it is the pad removal tag that gets in the way.
  • Anonymous
    Some what do what?
  • chedabob
    So am I better off just trying to find some Avid centrelocks for cheap, instead of farting around with shims, 6bolt adaptors and 180mm mounts?
  • Anonymous
    nah, rotors are rotors. Just don't bother with hope floaters.
  • MrFlibble
    MrFlibble Posts: 15
    yeehaa, I didn't mean that the Shimano XT rotors were floating, and to be honest having not seen them in person the centres may not be plastic I just know they are the ones with the black centres (i.e. these ones http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39007) and because of the way the center is riveted onto the to the rest of the rotor it can snag.

chedabob, I am running avid 6-bolt rotors on superstar centrlock adaptors with no shims and they are working fine without any snagging. that is using a 185mm mount adaptor.
    Kona Kula Gold

Trek 6000

Giant Trance 3
  • Anonymous
    The rivets on the Shimano rotors are in towards the centre enough that they should not snag. On Hopes, the rivets are right on the edge of the braking surface.