Wear visable on inside of the headset cup.

KevUK
KevUK Posts: 111
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, ive been chasing down a mysterious clicking noise on the front of my bike for months now, today i finally got my own headset press as i was sick of going to LBS and getting it done there, in this process today i noticed the inside surface of the cup has a strange wear pattern, i can only assume the steerer has been rubbing on it, but surely this isnt supposed to happen is it?

Forks are Rockshox Revelations 2010, frame on one 456, headset well thats changing month by month, ive tried all maners of FSA's and Hopes, currently got a Superstar GTO on it

Clicking noise is coming from the front on aft and fore motions, so basically anytime your riding and you lift the front and put it back down, for example hitting a log, you lift the front *click* then as you come down *click*

Could there be a slight play in my Steerer - crown interface?

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    sounds like either the headset isn't being tightened properly to me, or there is a problem with the fork steerer
  • KevUK
    Headset is as tight as it goes without making the steering sluggish and tight, theres no physical movement as a loose headset would suggest, and only happens on fore and aft movements, i can turn the bars 90 degrees and do it, and its silent, straighten up and i can make it click straight away.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    How is the crown race looking? I assume there is one and it is compatible with the current headset?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • KevUK
    Yup, crown race fitted, came with the headset, everytime ive got a new headset ive used the race from the new headset - Its looking fine, same as any other race ive seen, no visable marks to its surface.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cables?

fork damping?

the wear on the cups where is it 12 O'clock straight a head.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • KevUK
    6, facing the downtube, all cables are ziptied away and have rubber tape around them where they do contact the frame, Fork internals i can rule out, took all air out of them, so they were 100% compressed and it made the exact same click, didnt change in note or tone.

I have literally done everything i can think of but im more than likely missing something simple lol.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    nicklouse wrote:
    cables?

My cables used to click were the outer meets the lever, I thought it was my headset. bit of lube fixed it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    KevUK wrote:
    6, facing the downtube, all cables are ziptied away and have rubber tape around them where they do contact the frame, Fork internals i can rule out, took all air out of them, so they were 100% compressed and it made the exact same click, didnt change in note or tone.

I have literally done everything i can think of but im more than likely missing something simple lol.

head tube flared?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • KevUK
    Not that i can physically see or measure, both cups still go in straight and sit straight.
  • KevUK
    Went out and bought some digital caliper things, headtube isnt flared or ovalised according to that, so what do you guys reckon it could be?
  • nicklouse
    the steerer flexing.

if it was a CK headset (old style) then it would have been the headset design as they could not cope with long forks and slack head angles.
  • KevUK
    Surely thats not good in its own right? would explain the clicking noise i guess.