24 inch tyres

davidncohen
davidncohen Posts: 17
edited August 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
My son has a bike with Kenda 24 x 2.1 tyres. These are mountain bike style with deep tread. What I would like to do is swap them for a smooth tread, so that it improves rolling resistance and is better for road use. There doesn't seem to be that many tyres like this on sale but there are a few.

My question:

Can I swap the types for different size, say 24 x1.75, or do I have to stick to 24 x 2.1. I just want to know what the range of widths available to me are. And if I'm able to use a different size, do I need to swap the inner tubes.

Thanks in advance.

David

Comments

• JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    hey

take a look at these, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26231 the 24 x 1.85 is in stock, which would be pretty much perfect, and only £10 as well!
    and as for inner-tubes, you could probably get away with using the current ones on the bike.

Jamie
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have some of these tyres for commuting - they are great. Not the lightest but no more punctures is worth the sacrifice. So cheap it would be mad not to really - I got mine for £7.99 each!
  • Thanks - very helpful.

Do you think 24 x 1.75 would also fit as I notice that chain recation do 2 other Michelin tyres of this size?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    You can use whatever widths your rims will take (the manufacturers website will say what this range of widths is - I'm not sure if it is stamped on the rims themselves). 1.75s should be fine - your typical 26in XC rim will take 1.5 to 2.3 or so, with the wider all mountain rims and DH taking up to 2.4 or even 2.5

For example I have these (26in) rims - XM117, and Mavic say "Recommended tire widths: 1.50 to 2.30"

If you have 24in rims that take a 2.1 then I'd be pretty confident you can use a 1.75.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Thanks.