Avid brakes rubbing

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, can someone help me with a brake issue, please?

Had some issues with my Juicy 3 brakes a while ago and an LBS changed the pads for me, after this the brake lever moved much less than before and shortly after the brake started squeeking when rolling (brakes off) tapping the brake stops this for a minute or two.

Why would the brake lever move so much less after changing the pads? The rear brake is still fine, no squeak and a resonable amount of movement in the lever (easier to put on softly unlike the front which is just a hard squeeze).

Is there an easy fix to this I can do myself (I dont have an Avid brake maintenance kit) I have tried recentreing the pads as recommended but this doesnt resolve the issue. It's quite an annoying noise and constantly tapping the brake isnt ideal.

Edit: "you can always use the pad spreader that came with the brakes to push the pads and pistons back a bit, or pull the pads and use a bleeding block or wedge to open the pistons up."

This seems to be quite useful in another post, but do I force the spreader in and then push against the pads to open them up? I also saw that cleaning the pistons may help, any suggestions on easy ways to do this?

Thanks guys for any help

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    All normal.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    lever feels harder because you now have more pad which = less space until they contact with the disc. You won't remember, but they will have started like this.

As for the noise, go bed the pads in before touching anything. If they still squeek after a decent bed it, re-centre and they will be fine as you will have worn away some of the pad.

Dont panic about it :)
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    you'll need to remove the pads if you want to put the spreader in.

not sure if the juicy 3 have lever adjustment, but it they do you can wind them back and the lever will "bite" further down it's travel.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    3's don't have bite adjustment but they do have the little allen grub screw to adjust reach
    i find if i wind the reach in they rub and if i wind them out then they stop
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Will give it all a try, thanks guys. Very helpful (I have done a couple hundred miles on these if that does make a difference)