maxle troubles

ollietatts
ollietatts Posts: 42
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone had trouble removing maxles? removed rear maxle with no problems, front one wont come off, tried turning it as far as i can both ways, wont come out sprayed it with wd40 to try and loosen it, no change, any advice would be great
Thanks ollie.

Comments

• moster
    moster Posts: 121
    not had any problems with mine - is the operation of the two the same? (I dont have a rear)

Ie. My front maxle you fold open the QR lever and locate it in the slot in the hub, unscrew it a few turns and then slide it out - is this what you are doing?
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    Probably not very helpful now if it is stuck but it is importasnt to grease the threads on a maxle well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ollietatts wrote:
    Has anyone had trouble removing maxles? removed rear maxle with no problems, front one wont come off, tried turning it as far as i can both ways, wont come out sprayed it with wd40 to try and loosen it, no change, any advice would be great
    Thanks ollie.

which type of Maxel do you have?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ollietatts
    ollietatts Posts: 42
    Yeah im opening the lever and putting it in the slot and turning in the direction of the arrow but it wont come out, its the first time its been off the bike since new and the rear wasnt greased very well so the front probably isnt, hoping the wd40 may help
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Youngster has had this problem, now just keeps it lubed and removes it regularly. (A normal maxle, not light or 360).
    A hammer works. Make sure it is loosened first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • joey21
    joey21 Posts: 53
    Had this problem with many customers bikes, mole grips and a rice hammer.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a rice hammer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    ollietatts wrote:
    , front one wont come off, tried turning it as far as i can both ways
    I don't get this. Have you undone the QR and used it to unscrew (anti-clockwise) the maxle tube ?

You can't turn it both ways, it screws in clockwise like anything else with threads on it.

Once you've fully unscrewed it, it's then only held in place by rubber o-rings, so there isn't anything to resist movement at that point, no matter how corroded the maxle threads are.