Calves hurt - unable to run after cycling

ploppy nobkin
ploppy nobkin Posts: 3
I can run several off-ride miles no problem. I've started doing some adventure racing and always try and run after the MTB stage. However, my calves always tighten up really quickly while running and it hurts so much I have to stop. Last night I even got cramp in one calf almost immediately (I used to suffer with cramps after riding but now drink plenty of electrolyte and it's not usually an issue). I have no problems MTBing as far as I need to go - it's just the running stage that really lets me down.

I don't tend to stretch before any exercise as I have had conflicting views on whether this is good for you. I do try and warm up into any riding or running though, taking it easy to begin with.

Should I be stretching between the ride and run? After the run too? Any suggestions on what stretches? Anything else I should do (other than give up the running)?

I'm doing the Endurancelife Coast to Coast (2 day) in September and am now getting worried as it ends with a 19 mile run :-(

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    the usual advice for triathlon is to drop a couple of gears towards the end of the ride and spin your legs faster, gets the legs moving and makes running off the bike a bit less difficult, have you tried that?
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Indeed, spin faster. That way you aren't stretching your muscles by pushing too hard.

Pedal at about 70rpm min.
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    Just a thought, have you got your saddle too high whereby putting unnecessary strain your calves?
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    If you are clipped in, have you got the clips too far forward, ie you are pedalling more with the toe area? i set mine up incorrectly like this, I do a lot of running as well and it totally knackered my lower calves and achilles. Moved spds back towards middle of foot and instant result
  • Many thanks for the replies so far.

I haven't tried spinning faster, so will try that thanks. I do have my seat quite high as find that more comfortable - will try dropping it a bit and also check my SPD's. They're probably just forward of level with the ball of my foot.
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    mea00csf wrote:
    the usual advice for triathlon is to drop a couple of gears towards the end of the ride and spin your legs faster, gets the legs moving and makes running off the bike a bit less difficult, have you tried that?

When training for a duathlon I was told by my chiropractor mate that spinning pedals in reverse near to end of ride before transition helps stretch out 'cycling' muscles which will help going into the run. Not sure how good this is but I did try it, getting funny looks are part of the deal !
  • 1@ATIME
    1@ATIME Posts: 89
    I had similar problem training for Gaelforce last year opted for the Zensah Calf Guards in the end, not the most attractive but v. effective http://www.zensah.com/compression-leg-sleeves.html[/url]
    Ribble Stealth
    previous: Kiron Scandium, 80's Raleigh Equipe, Striker :)