Chain/Cassette/Chainring Compatibility

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I use an MTB to commute to work.

9-speed setup, 48T chainring, 11-32 cassette

I tend to only use the smallest 3 cassette sprockets, and go through maybe 3 cassettes/chains per year, primarily due to tooth wear.

I was wondering if an 8-speed chain would be compatible with a 9-speed chainring, so that I can use 8-speed cassette/chain (cheaper & may last longer due to not being so narrow)?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes but you will need to change your shifter as well.

might be cheaper to get a cheap commuter bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    might be an idea to improve your drive-train cleaning routine!
  • shm_uk
    johnsav wrote:
    might be an idea to improve your drive-train cleaning routine!

I keep it well cleaned and lubed, and it's only used on-road so does not have remnants of off-road ventures grinding around.

I tend to find the teeth on the smallest 2 cassette cogs get very worn and eventually the chain starts skipping (I do tend to stomp up hills in a high gear though - maybe I should spin a lower gear).

Which is why I was thinking 7 or 8 speed cassette cogs will not be as thin, therefore the teeth may be more durable.

I can get a 7sp shifter for £15, 7sp cassette for £11 or £12 & choice of 7sp chain for £7, £12 or £13

Total cost, around £40

Which is only a few pounds more than the cheapest new 9sp cassette & chain. Approximately.
  • nicklouse
    shm_uk wrote:
    Which is why I was thinking 7 or 8 speed cassette cogs will not be as thin, therefore the teeth may be more durable.

the cogs have the same tooth width to 0.02mm and is Sram they are the same width. 2.0mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • shm_uk
    In that case, i won't bother with my cunning plan ...
  • nicklouse
    as I said before get a more suitable bike with road ratios.