Yet another TdF gallery

guinea
guinea Posts: 1,177
edited July 2011 in Pro race

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Excellent work, Guinea. Some great pics there.

The before and after shots of LTD :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Well that was an absolutely fantastic read! Thank you very much for sharing.

I feel like completely wasted my time sitting at home watching it on telly!

Right that's settled it, I'm going next year! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back for the month?
  • guinea
    I spent about £5-600 on diesel, but the Landrover is quite thirsty. £100 on the ferry. Camping ranged from free on the mountain tops, to €19.50 in Bourg d'Oisans. Mostly about €12 a night.

Didn't really have any other costs other than food which you can do as cheeply or expensive as you like. I did no hot cooking and mostly lived on pastries, breads, cheeses and salads. It's cheap. Remember this isn't extra money, you'd eat at home too :)

I probably spent around £2-2.5k which included some cycling gear and souvenirs. And beer. You could do it far cheaper if you wanted, I spend money very quickly.
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Cheers, that's really good considering you got to see the whole of France!

I'm going to start planning it myself when the route comes out for next year.

Do you reckon it'd be much more difficult without a car?
  • guinea
    I think it would be a lot harder without a car.

Whilst not impossible, you'd need to plan everything far better. With the car, if a campsite is full, then you find another. Dunno if I'd fancy walking to the next town to see if they could fit me in.

I like the freedom of having the motor, but it's doable without.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Nice to see Mr Millar getting some Scots encouragement. He was a true gent last year when this bunch of Scots verbally pushed him up to Avoriaz.
    Mac9 wrote:
    Cheers, that's really good considering you got to see the whole of France!

I'm going to start planning it myself when the route comes out for next year.

Do you reckon it'd be much more difficult without a car?

We did it last year in a campervan. Until I saw Simon's hitchhiking efforts on ITV4 I would have said it was impossible without a car.

If you can't get a car then my advice would be to make a week of it at a campsite in the Pyrenees or Alps.

Horses for courses.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Nice write up - sounds like a decent way to spend 3 weeks of the summer.

Love this shot by the way........quality

luz-ardiden-leaders_medium.jpg
  • guinea
    Thanks. The game faces are definitely on.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Especially TV Tommy's :lol:
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    great photos good too see some of us scots gettin to the tdf :lol:
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Great pics there & a nice blog of your trip.

Especially like the bit at the end where you pretend to miss the wife so much you go home early. Good brownie point collecting there!! :D
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    quality read! hope i can do it one summer too!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    good photos and a really enjoyed reading the write up too
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    An entertaining read and some nice photos - thanks.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    cool
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm