Average wheelset.

joey21
joey21 Posts: 53
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi guys I am a very keen cyclist and am looking to upgrade my wheels, at the moment my eyes are on the Mavic Askiums, mainly due to the fact I have had mavic wheels plenty of times so I know to trust them.

Are there any other wheelsets that I should be looking at around this price at all?

Many Thanks

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Planet X model B, lighter and cheaper.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Pro-Lite Braccianos and also Shimano RS20s. But also +1 for the above Planet X Model Bs.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • scratchy27
    scratchy27 Posts: 13
    I changed my standard Giant wheels to a pair of Shimano RS30's in a sale from Merlin for £130!!! Probably not the best of wheels but more than good enough for me and they look fantastic!
    2010 Giant Anthem
    2011 Giant Tcr
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    open pro on 105
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • joey21
    joey21 Posts: 53
    I have read the planet X wheelset is very flexy and can cause brake rub?
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387

Doesn't appear to be a significant problem with mine so far, and I'm no lightweight.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    joey21 wrote:

No problem here, great value wheelset.
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    As with everything about cycling you will get people who rave about a product and people who will tell you that it is a pile of pooh!

For the most part you can value this type of advice by how much you actually paid for it... nothing (it is free) therefore it is worth nothing :idea:

Just buy whatever product you like the look of within your budget range and ignore the people who say bad things about it. Be happy with your purchase safe in the knowledge that it was the right thing to buy for YOU! :roll:

Let's be honest if you buy something on the recommendation of a stranger then you can hardly go back and tell them they were wrong now can you :?:

By the way my advice was also free and therefore is also completely worthless but on the other hand it could also be PRICELESS! :wink:
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    joey21 wrote:

My Aksiums rub the brake blocks also.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!