Upgrading to Hydraulic front brake - Few questions

jasoncrispe
jasoncrispe Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Firstly I'm new here and fairly new to biking (by that I mean I've always ridden bikes but never really taken them too seriously). Secondly, I'm hoping you can help answer a couple of questions.

I have a Mongoose Rockadile (with mechanical disc brakes) and have just bought a Quad Sting Pro front hydraulic brake. The first question is, can I still use the original rotor? Will I also be able to just fit the new brake as a direct replacement for the other? I believe the current brake/gear lever ass is a shimano ez fire?? Or similar (it looks like the bog standard shimano gear/brake ass you see on a lot of budget bikes. I was going to just remove the lever from this and put the new one next to it however it looks like it would make changing gears uncomfortable. Would I be better off buying a new shifter mechanism to go with this?

Any info would be great, cheers in advance

Jay

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes,yes and a new shifter assy needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok, thanks, with regards to the shifter assy, is it just a case of finding an 8 speed one? Or does it have to be specific to the brand/type of assy on the wheel?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just one that matches your rear mech and cassette.
  • When you say matches, do you mean it has to be the same brand or just the same gearing? Sorry for the noobiness just want to be sure.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    ebay it so,

how many rear cogs = number of speed on that shifter or count the clicks, plenty of second hand shimano on ebay,

front number of cogs 1= no mech, any more and you need a shifter and mech

there are also good deals on brake sets

check youtube for tutorials on all aspects of these parts, some are better than others
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er whatever the previous poster said???????

Any Shimano 8 speed shifter will work fine presuming you have a Shimano mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps don't just count the 'clicks' - an 8 speed shifter has 7 clicks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools